BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From my experience shock absorbers wear out well before they fail. Without a seal failing, the slow progression of the wearing of shocks allows most to think that their shocks have always been that way. When in reality, their worn shocks are just crap.

In the past upgrades to Ohlins has resulted in much better performance with the GS and GSA. Ohlins has made it clear to their US employee that there are no plans for the K1600 ESA II.

From earlier threads I offered to explore whether there might an opportunity to get a deal for forum members from a US Wilbers importer.

Here is the standard pricing for the Wilbers ESA II replacement package:

The Wilbers WESAII units are build to customer specs and if lowering is not required we still adjust the damper characteristics to customer
request.

You can expect a tailor-made shock build to your request, serviceable / rebuildable and 5 year warranty !
Wilbers uses the OEM BMW-ESAII actuators which I will convert on the Wilbers shock bodies.

You have to send your OEM shocks to me in Edgewater once your units arrive at my shop from Germany,
this lead time is 3-4 weeks, for the conversion my turn around time is 2 days.

The complete price for a set of WESAII shocks is $ 1399,- + return shipping.
You are also getting your OEM shock bodies and springs back.

Here is the group buy deal from Herman Eshuis at Wheels and Wings USA importer for Wilbers Shocks - SteadyStand - Superformance - Export service.

If I can get 10 bikes minimum I offer a discount of 12 %
When we have more than 15 sets I will up the discount to 15 %
By 25 sets or more I will do 18%

We need to set a 2 weeks ordering window and I would prefer payments in cash or check.

PayPal is accepted though, but I need to charge 3 % costs for that.

Shipping will be at UPS published rates

Everybody has to supply a properly filled out order form.

Ride-In-Ride-Out Installation in Edgewater Florida can be done for between $ 225,- to $ 295,- Owners are welcome to help to cut down the time and cost, but I do not accept any liability if something goes wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a review from webBikeWorld: Wilbers Shocks Electronic Suspension - webBikeWorld

While some review elements seem strange, like how the shock could be expected to make the seat more comfortable, it helps with understanding the system.

Here is the bottom line: "Conclusion
A good suspension makes all the difference in the world on a motorcycle but if replacing the stock suspension removes some functionality of the bike, what is the point?

With the Wilbers’ WESA you get to keep all the button pushing fun associated with BMW’s ESA system combined with the class leading technology and ride/handling improvements Wilbers is known for; all for a reasonable price of $1,349.00 plus shipping (more if you want Herman to install them on your bike). You’ll even get to keep your original shocks in case you want to reinstall them to sell the bike."

Here is the reviewer's personal site: http://www.2wf.com/wilbers-wesa-bmw-suspension/

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For forum members who purchased a GTL and wish they had ESA II suspension settings that allowed for settings which are more GTlike, or even more sport riding oriented, this is your best bet.

Wilbers also offers up to a 3" seat height reduction, and sidestand adjustment.

The other request I've seen on the forum is for replacement springs to accommodate the individual needs one may desire. This is an option to get not only the springs but valving best suited to your requirements. :clap:

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking through the WESA reviews, the common theme appears to be that the two best upgrades riders have purchased for their BMW are: 1) Custom Seat & 2) Suspension Upgrades.

Mirrors my experience too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
RL,

I logged on this morning to ask about the status of the group buy for the Wilbers ESA shocks. Lo and behold, this was the first thread! Thanks for your effort.

I tried to sign up but couldn't find the order form on his web site that needs to be filled out.

George

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been slow getting this thread started. Let's keep the list here until we have 10 participants. Then, we will get George's attention.

I would like to take the time to ride to his place and get the install done there.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those interested in this offer, I would suggest that you take the time to carefully weigh the various loads on the motorcycle. Two-up and all the gear you might carry to just yourself with no gear riding around town. You might also describe your riding style, from touring to hard core sport riding. Lastly, what are your road preferences. Do you focus on freeways, or like me, do you include a whole lot of GS style paved goat trails?

Defining these three areas will allow your shocks to be valved and sprung properly, resulting in a much better performing K1600. :k16:

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Side Note: I'm reluctant to spend such a "large" sum on the K1600, now that my GT is so well set-up for my rides. What I can't convey here is just how replacing stock BMW shocks improves the entire riding experience. The improvement is dramatic.

In 2006, I ordered a 2007 R1200GSA, waiting months for delivery. I had the dealer install Ohlins replacement shocks when the crate arrived. A friend, and serious longtime GS owner, performed the Motoman break-in for me before I took delivery. He was so impressed with the GSA that he purchased the identical bike. This guy came on one of my rides and was following me on a variety of roads all through the 4 Corners states. In every situation where he noticed that his stock suspension performed poorly, my Ohlins bike made the road irregularities irrelevant. His bike wallowed, and mine performed well. When he returned from the ride, a replacement set of Ohlins shocks was immediate.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I'm in unless the cost is through the roof. While many would argue that Olins are the end all in shocks, I have used wilber's on two bikes in the past as they tend to be 1/3 less then Olins, and have found them to a very good suspension. IMHO you can't go wrong with either company

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm in unless the cost is through the roof. While many would argue that Olins are the end all in shocks, I have used wilber's on two bikes in the past as they tend to be 1/3 less then Olins, and have found them to a very good suspension. IMHO you can't go wrong with either company
Same here. I've used both as well and were happy with my Wilbers, ran them on RTs and liked them a lot. Huge difference from the stock shocks.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cost without discount is: The complete price for a set of WESAII shocks is $1,399,- + return shipping. You are also getting your OEM shock bodies and springs back.

If 10 are committed the saving is 12%, yielding a total price of $1,231, plus shipping and your own install.

If 25 step-up the price drops to $1,147, plus shipping and install.

I'm good to go even if 10 take the plunge.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
RL, I haven't bought a set of Wilbers in a while. Do they still set them up based upon the bike, rider info, and riding style. My last two sets were pretty much dialed in for a starting preload and they provided a chart to change the base preload setting based upon weight and sag.

Do you know if this is still the case since they changed their distribution system?

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Wilbers WESAII units are made to customer specs with dampening characteristics per customer
request.

You can expect a tailor-made shock built to your request, serviceable and rebuildable with a 5 year warranty!
Wilbers uses the OEM BMW-ESAII actuators which will be connected on the Wilbers shock bodies.

You have to send your OEM shocks to Herman in Edgewater, FL once your units arrive at his shop from Germany.
Lead time is 3-4 weeks, for the conversion his turn around time is 2 days.

The complete price for a set of WESAII shocks is $1,399,- + return shipping. The group price is lower, according to the number of buyers.
You are also getting your OEM shock bodies and springs back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I tried to upload the Wilbers order form as an attachment but it is too large. It is a pdf file so it's hard to enter the requested info on the computer. Below is the non-formatted order form to give you an idea of what is requested:

Qty. Part number Discription Price
Shipping
Total Price
Vehicle description
Year of construction/make/model
Driver's weight in pounds ( inclusive clothing and helmet )
Partner weight in pounds ( inclusive clothing and helmet )
How often are you driving with partner %
Additional luggage in pounds
How often are you driving with luggage %
Riding style
Do you want lower ? Black or Blue springs ?
WESA only comes with ORANGE springs ! We do custom powder coating for WESA !!
Check your WESA version: Showa or WP !!
Adress information
Name
Street
City, State, ZIP
Telephone number
Email
Shipping adress if different from above
Credit card payment can be done by you through PayPal.
Or you can send us money direct from your PayPal account.
Our PayPal address is: [email protected]
Date and
Signature
1708 WILLOW OAK DRIVE EDGEWATER FL 32132
Website: Wheels and Wings USA importer for Wilbers Shocks - SteadyStand - Superformance - Export service. Email: [email protected]
Phone/Fax +1-321-363-9831 or Cell +1-386-690-4239
WHEELS and WINGS, LLC
Wilbers Shock Order by Fax / Email

·
Registered
828 Posts
By set you mean front and rear? According to what the dealer told me, the front BMW replacement shock is 1300.00 and the rear is a whopping 2600.00. If Wilburs are charging 1300 for a (SET/PAIR) of shocks, that is a huge savings.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both front and rear, utilizing the OE ESA controllers. A great price for better control and performance, custom set-up for your needs.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
By set you mean front and rear? According to what the dealer told me, the front BMW replacement shock is 1300.00 and the rear is a whopping 2600.00. If Wilburs are charging 1300 for a (SET/PAIR) of shocks, that is a huge savings.
But you have to send in your OEM shocks so it is not a savings. It's additional to the stock price.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
828 Posts
What I gather based on what I am reading is that Wilbur replaces the front/rear shocks and replaces the controllers using the ones you have provided them by sending in your old system. That's fine but if the controller is bad you are still left out of luck. BMW sells the shocks as a system which accounts for the expense. If I remember correctly, the guys at Morton's BMW told me they have a company that will rebuild your shocks at a great savings, but they didn't mention if that included the ESA controller or not. BTW does Penske do ESA shocks. I had them on a previous bike and they were located in CONUS (didn't have to worry about getting shocks from Europe). I think they make shocks for BMW, but not 100 percent sure.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts