BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok, now what happens when the ESA II control unit fails, since it is not sold as a separately ? Are there warranty issues as well? Are the shocks covered under warranty since the units are sold as one?
The shocks are covered by the Wilbers 5 year warranty. The ESA? Don't know how BMW would handle that, though my aftermarket warranty should.

The typical failure looked for to determine if it is a covered item is the seal failure and leaking. Shocks are worn out well before the seal fails, in nearly every case.

·
Registered
258 Posts
RL,

I'm curious about the number of takers on this group buy so far. From the posts, I only count two, you and me. Do you have other off-thread commitments?

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The Ride-In - Ride-Out is my plan. No way do I want to perform the install. Let the pros do it all.

I need to do something because I'm really disappointed at how the shock performance has declined. But then, that is the sad truth about original equipment shocks.

The hard part for me is knowing what great shocks are like to ride with. Like going from 1970 boingers to current MX forks and shocks.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Just think- Get the Wilbers put on and it cures the front end squeaking issue that I have. The $1500 is a bargain then and I am sure that BMWNA will reimburse me for the costs.(LOL) But wonder if it doesn't fix the squeak would BMWNA honor the warranty[which they are not doing now]. Too much at risk for me to jump on this opportunity.

Paky

·
Registered
828 Posts
For riders in the Northeast

Contact EPM

These guys are located in New Jersey, many friends have used them with great success. They are an authorized Wilbur installer and shock rebuilder. Just another option. I have never used them before.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Also have the BeemerShop in Scott's Valley, CA. for those on the left coast.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
For riders in the Northeast

Contact EPM

These guys are located in New Jersey, many friends have used them with great success. They are an authorized Wilbur installer and shock rebuilder. Just another option. I have never used them before.
I bought fork springs from them for my GS, when I called, Klaus answered the phone. He is still alive and well, he set up my first set of Wilbers and gave me some guidance on setting them up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wilbers suspension group buy

I am interested in the suspension ride in program as well, but I don't know how long it will take to get my bike back from the deer encounter. What sort of time frame or cut-off date do we have on fulfilling the buy?

Still waiting for a whole BUNCH of parts
:(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wilbers suspension

Yeah, the dealer has already said they could do that, but if something doesn't work correctly then I would need to take it to Herman anyway, so I'm thinking that having it done by Herman is just icing on the cake for a nice long ride.
:k16:

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Good point.

I want to make this install part of a ride on the roads back that way.

While I usually get hives, head to toe, when traveling east of the Mississippi River, doing so on a motorcycle may prove to be fun. ;)

I'll feel better if I stay south of this line:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wilbers ride in

Well, if I approach this just right, I may get my wife to take a Destin area vacation and follow or lead in her car with all the luggage, leave the bike with Herman for a few days to do it at his leisure, and go back and pick it up and come home. Hmmmm, yeah that's the ticket!
:clap:

·
Registered
258 Posts
This thread has been dormant for a while and the two-week deadline set in the original post has ended. I saw about 6 or 7 (of the 10 minimum) interested members. RL, do you have an update on either the deadline or number of participants?

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I don't think it matters when the install is done, just that we get an order of 10 off to Germany through Herman.

I suspect that he would rather install them slowly over time. He did mention something about installations during Bike Week too.

41 - 60 of 134 Posts