BMW K1600 Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Install details from Herman:

- $ 300,- USD is what I have to charge for the install on a stock K1600
- when there are a numerous amount of accessories I need to ask 50 USD more for the time needed to disconnect wires or reroute them.

- Originally I have offered that customers could give me a hand but I have
to change that in no help wanted, there are so many little things that I've decided to do it completely on my own.

- I can do 1 bike a day, I prefer an early drop off or the day before, my
R1200GS loaner bike can be taken on a local ride.

- Fuel tank needs to be as empty as possible.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My 1st ride report

Fuel tank empty....Hmmm I guess that came from mine being almost full. Herman is young and strong, but I should have known better. Sorry about that. Yes, that's my ride getting new shocks.

The installation was easy, just take to Herman and leave it for a day. Come back and its all done. Actually Herman did a very nice job, and I am pleased.

Now for the ride report. I put about 80 miles on it heading home. Roads were crowded with Daytona traffic, disgruntled locals, and the Sherriff revenue machines. I did not get a chance to push it.

The feel was great, just a slight bit of difference, a little buttery, a little more feeling where the wheels were planted, a shade firmer. The factory settings for spring and dampening were spot on.

My problem was the K1600GTL is very well sprung and dampened to begin with. I could not imagine any improvements and thought I might actually loose something. I'm happy to report my fears were baseless, and the improvements were just noticeable enough to make me smile. Its not a night and day type of change, but more like the sharpening of a fine knife blade.

I hope to add to this report, once I get a few more hours in less hostile traffic. Meanwhile I'm one happy camper. :)

Paul

·
Premium Member
6,166 Posts
Herman gave me a great deal on the Wilber Shocks last week. As above, give him a call, discuss you needs, and ask for reduced pricing....:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi, Kids, I just switched from an RT to the K16GT, and immediately want new shocks. This interesting thread is missing one ingredient: no comprehensive reviews of the WESAs. I have manual Wilbers on my RT, and dial them in and out depending on load. If ESA shocks can be built to span the variation in weight between solo and pillion and loaded-up, I might go that route. The manual Wilbers do just that on the RT, with a quick adjustment to rear preload and rebound damping. The front is always the same.

TIA for reviews....

Mark

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Two kinds of peoples in this world. Those that jumped on the train, and those left crying at the station. Ordered mine from the Beemer Shop. Will have the install done in Iowa City.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts