BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving the Wilbers from my GTL over to the new (to me) 2016GT. I did a ride in install with Herman, the Wilbers dealer in Florida, a few years back. Spoke with him this morning and he let me know he's quit the motorcycle side of his business and concentrating on airplanes. Says no worry, he will do a rebuild for me and another ride in if I want. I had planned on maybe doing the install myself but having second thoughts. Herman has moved from Edgewater to Lake City, FL which is 2 hours closer to me. What was an 8 hour ride is now 5. (No more on than 4 on the GT; I will also be moving my ALP laser & radar system over.) 馃か馃槆

Anyone here on the forum ever done a shock install? I've heard replacing GT/GTL shocks, especially front, can be a biatch. Would you do it again or ride down for a visit with Herman?

Premium Member
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I replaced the front on my 2012 bike back in 2017. It took the better part of 8 hours to remove it and another 8 to install. My brother Steve had already done it so I made a lot of phone calls to him during the removal process. I also had the maintenance DVD on a lap top next to the bike to help walk me through it. This is a must, in my opinion.
Steve also did the rear and said it was a lot easier than the front.

As far as would I do it again, I probably will later this year because I'm not aware of any shop close to me that would do it for me. I guess you would have to assess as to your mechanical skills vs your bank account.

Premium Member
Let me give you something to ponder.

I would do it again. Over the winter, during the weeks of rain, when I can take my sweet time about it. Tractives are compatible with the B/GA, and it would be a few years before I'd need to consider it.

Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel

Palm tree driver
K1600GT MY2021
2022 MI/KM:
29,000km
I'll be moving the Wilbers from my GTL over to the new (to me) 2016GT. I did a ride in install with Herman, the Wilbers dealer in Florida, a few years back. Spoke with him this morning and he let me know he's quit the motorcycle side of his business and concentrating on airplanes. Says no worry, he will do a rebuild for me and another ride in if I want. I had planned on maybe doing the install myself but having second thoughts. Herman has moved from Edgewater to Lake City, FL which is 2 hours closer to me. What was an 8 hour ride is now 5. (No more on than 4 on the GT; I will also be moving my ALP laser & radar system over.) 馃か馃槆

Anyone here on the forum ever done a shock install? I've heard replacing GT/GTL shocks, especially front, can be a biatch. Would you do it again or ride down for a visit with Herman?
FWIW my dealer in Melbourne had plenty of practice with mine (regular overhauls of the Wilbers) and could remove front and rear shocks in about 3.5 - 4 hours. Reinstalling after overhaul would take a bit longer, about 6 hours 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW my dealer in Melbourne had plenty of practice with mine (regular overhauls of the Wilbers) and could remove front and rear shocks in about 3.5 - 4 hours. Reinstalling after overhaul would take a bit longer, about 6 hours 馃憤
So....about 14 for me 馃槅

Registered
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a related question which is connected to another tangent question...
Background - 2013 GTL, first owner installed Wilbers at about 30,000 miles. I purchased the bike at 32,000 miles, immediately noticed a wandering front end which was easily diagnosed as ball joint play. I had the dealer replace both upper and lower balljoints, fixing the issue.
Now 3 years later, bike has 56,000 miles, I started to notice some wandering at low speed again. Not as bad as before, but is there... I checked the front and can notice a very small bit of play. Will have to replace the ball joints again...
Now back to the Wilbers, a question for the experts: what signs should indicate they are due for a rebuild? I don't notice them sagging or bottoming out. I cannot say for certain, but I think the damping difference from Sport to Comfort settings is less noticeable than before. A fair amount of the mileage has been 2 up...
I wonder if removing the shocks at the same time that of the disassemble for the ball joints would make sense, save on labor time. I am even wondering if I should do it myself over the winter and save the labor cost. I checked my invoice for the fist ball joint replacement and I was charged only 2 hours of labor, though...

Registered
2014 K1600GT
2022 MI/KM:
So....about 14 for me 馃槅
or 40+ for me... 馃う鈥嶁檪锔忦煃

Mr.Fix It
@badaim , Shocks 'gradually' go bad making it hard to discern when a rebuild is required. I've had my Wilbers rebuilt twice now. Each time at about 40K miles. The first rebuild was over due. I had began to notice the bike was wondering when towing the Unigo and just not as solid in the corners as it had been; it just felt mushy. After rebuild/reinstall my GT felt like a new bike. Just because you haven't noticed a performance degradation doesn't mean the shocks are good... A good rule of thumb is 40K miles for shock rebuild/replacement.

Duane

Registered
Thanks, Duane. I have 24,000 miles of mostly 2 up, am thinking about sending them to rebuild since there is a fair amount of disassembly to get to the ball joints, so saving on labor hours would make sense. Also pondering whether I tackle that over the winter on my own in the garage. I could bring the assembly to the shop at work and with the help of the millwrights have the threads heated up and the ball joints removed... Buying the 2 wrenches will be a lot cheaper that dealership labor... I have an ebay copy of the BMW maintenance DVD...

Mr.Fix It
@badaim , I had my ball joints replaced a few months ago. I did the disassembly. Local BMW shop charged me 1 hour labor to change the ball joints. I had the front Wilber rebuilt while I had it apart. I'll remove the rear shock this winter and have it rebuilt.

Duane

Registered
Hi mate, did the dealer charge you at around $200 an hour for labor..? I'm about to have the same thing done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts