BMW K1600 Forum banner

Will Trade Coffee For Knowledge in PHX

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gooddog 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy! I'm just getting acquainted with my K1600 and I'm hoping to meet up with someone in the Tempe area to show me some of the ropes on the bike. Additionally, I'm looking for someone who would feel confident in riding my 2018 to see if they feel any funny business going on in the front in or if it's just the way it be. I feel like I get a lot of feedback from not terribly impressive bumps in the road.

So anyway, would be willing to trade some coffee on a Saturday or Sunday morning for the knowledge and reassurance. Love to pick someone's brain who knows their way around the bike. Let me know!

#3 · (Edited)
Reactions: PLAGUE
#4 ·
Keep us posted on what you find. Sounds like you'll get some good advice from an experienced local. I do not feel any steering/drive response in the pegs (to answer your other question).

A comment: As a fellow new owner of a 2018, I have played around with the loading set-ups as well as road and dynamic modes on the suspension and have noticed a definite variation in feel. Maybe you can try to play with that. I use the "1-up + luggage" + dynamic for carving corners/spirited riding. A little stiffer. But for the bumpy roads/city streets, I found that Road mode and "1-up" gives me a softer response and more "normal" feel. The bike is a bit sensitive, as to me it responds quickly to inputs, as if the wheelbase is shorter than it is. That includes wind and road variations. I was also told by a few BMW folks that the suspensions will "break-in" a bit, so they tend to get a bit softer in time. I'll see.

Since I am used to more off-road/adventure bike feel, my biggest whoa factor was that the 17" (smaller) wheels give me a much quicker turn. I still tend to lift my body up when crossing railroad tracks/rough road/etc, to avoid shocks to my backside.

#5 ·
I'd agree with you there, Al. My other ride is a 990 KTM and I'm amazed at how responsive this thing is at speed. It's pretty delightful!

Thanks again to Jim for putting me in contact with good folks. Working on setting up time with Bill now.

#9 · (Edited)
Come on down! We'll be your friend, we like all riders...
P.S. Winter rides are best around here BTW>:)

Oh year, the above invite assumes you have a successful tuning job! Keep us up to speed on the progress.

#10 ·
Well, I know 'pics or it didn't happen', but it did happen! Met with Bill and Clay this morning out at Dunkin to poke at the bike and swap stories. Truly nice of the two to brave the heat and help out a fellow rider. I'm hoping it's just one of many meet-ups to come once the weather stops sucking so consistently.

As for the bike, Bill confirmed he felt a bit more feedback than anticipated through the front forks. Nothing earth shattering; I'm going to keep my self attuned to it to see if it increases or not, but otherwise no complaints about the way the bike rides.

Thanks again Clay and Bill!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.