BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got on the bike to take a quick ride the other day and the wind screen would not move - completely locked up. I tried the usual tricks (battery disconnect, hold the raise / lower button for 10 seconds etc.) Nothing worked. This happened to me a while back in August of 2018. The dealer had to fix it both times. I believe they connect it to their BMW diagnostic computer and clear the fault - for only $60. As I said this is the second time this has happened, at $60 a pop, I've almost spent half of the price for a GS 911. The service manager say that BMW does not have a service bulletin on software update on this & he has seen this a few times. The cause has something to do with a combination of the wind screen height / GPS mount position and the ignition switch position. What is the magic combination that causes this problem? I think a software update could be installed that would prevent is from happening?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had this happen on the road last year. The solution is to clear the fault code that gets thrown and then use the GS-911 to run a windshield calibration service process. Then all was well.

Make sure you check for and clear the code for the windshield fault before you run the calibration or the calibration will fail.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
if the GPS pops slightly it doesn't contact the switch and then can be a pain. cars suffer window lock downs which can be overridden by 10 second buton holds as the screen moves to its limits

If it wont move at all and dosen't park with ignition off, either cradle, or in need of electronic re setting

·
Registered
139 Posts
when you say "completely locked up", is the windshield stuck in the highest position, as if you had pressed the GPS unit eject button?

This happened to me and I fixed it myself. At the bottom of the GPS caddy is a contact switch and that switch has a thin lever that toggles the switch state (e.g. closed or opened). If that lever arm gets "tired" it may allow the switch to change state erratically and cause the windshield to raise all the way up because it thinks that you want to take the GPS unit out. You would have to remove the entire the GPS caddy and get to that switch way down at the bottom and bend the lever arm up again so it makes reliable contact with the bottom the sliding caddy.

Here is a photo of a GPS caddy and the switch I'm talking about.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-KlSRG1RQyxoi9uUsNE9fp_PA3KIhmEK

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I don't see limit switches in the drawing so there is probably some kind of counter (hall effect, visual counter, etc) that is keeping track of the position of the screen. That system will stop if it cannot get a reading from the counter. Some kind of counter would explain why it needs calibration. Looking at the drawings it appears that it would be built into the lift mechanism and activated by the lower linkage that controls the actual lifting/lowering. i would start poking around in there looking for a loose connection.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see limit switches in the drawing so there is probably some kind of counter (hall effect, visual counter, etc) that is keeping track of the position of the screen. That system will stop if it cannot get a reading from the counter. Some kind of counter would explain why it needs calibration. Looking at the drawings it appears that it would be built into the lift mechanism and activated by the lower linkage that controls the actual lifting/lowering. i would start poking around in there looking for a loose connection.
Don't think its a loose connection since they calibrate it with the BMW diagnostics computer. It has something to do with the windscreen postilion when the bike is shut off / GPS cradle position etc. Some type of gremlin

·
Registered
534 Posts
Got on the bike to take a quick ride the other day and the wind screen would not move - completely locked up. I tried the usual tricks (battery disconnect, hold the raise / lower button for 10 seconds etc.) Nothing worked. This happened to me a while back in August of 2018. The dealer had to fix it both times. I believe they connect it to their BMW diagnostic computer and clear the fault - for only $60. As I said this is the second time this has happened, at $60 a pop, I've almost spent half of the price for a GS 911. The service manager say that BMW does not have a service bulletin on software update on this & he has seen this a few times. The cause has something to do with a combination of the wind screen height / GPS mount position and the ignition switch position. What is the magic combination that causes this problem? I think a software update could be installed that would prevent is from happening?
I know back in 2016 I had an R1200RT the windscreen motor and arms were replaced under a TSB so the warranty covered it. You may have the same issue and if so it could or should be covered under warranty or extended warranty at least, I say that because it was a known issue regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts