BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
&[email protected]?!$&. Why does my bike wait until I'm headed far from home to decide its time for a switch cluster malfunction? I spent the day riding from Annapolis down to VIR for the super bike camp and about half way here the windscreen would not adjust downward. Stupidly I tried to then move it up and yep, it moved up and is now stuck in the full up position.

Anyone here have a quick and easy hotwire for the windscreen switch or am I just going to have to live with it until I get back home? It's not a big problem as I'm riding the schools bikes for the camp but it stinks to have to look through the windscreen especially when I've been murdering some gynormous bugs.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I was looking through some threads that would have the wiring identified but haven't found it yet. One thing I ran across is that in some cases, the windshield will go down after starting the bike.

Do you have the short wires and posi-taps for making a jumper?

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Of course I left that kit at home this time. They have a very capable shop and mechanic here that maintains all of the school's S1000RRs and I may be able to get his help if I knew what to jumper. I'd like to get it moved down a few inches and then just leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I tried to find the thread that CBDane figured out the switch cluster wiring but the archives don't go back far enough to find it. My bike is in the shop and the diagram to know which wires are which is stored under the seat. Sorry.

Edit: I got to thinking more about this. There may not be a wiring diagram for the left switch cluster. My jumpers are for the start and kill switch. I have labels on them to tell me which wires they connect to on the right side. I could still use the jumpers for other functions on either side but without knowing the wiring color code, it would take some time to figure out which is which.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I"ve read somewhere that putting an ice pack on the switch cluster sometimes get them to work... can't speak from experience but some have reported success

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I had this issue a couple of years ago and it had to do with the GPS cradle and the internal switch. The cradle does effect the windscreen function. Try removing the GPS and push the cradle down ... just a thought.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
A bad left switch cluster is one possibility. You could try cooling it down with some ice.

Another possibility is the GPS cradle and it's lower switch that tells the bike the GPS is fully inserted. Try removing and replacing the GPS, and make sure that it's fully seated down (hold it down with your hand and try to move the screen down).

And another is that the screen mechanism has forgotten its full-up and full-down limits, so as a safety measure it just refuses to move. A dealer can hook the bike up to their diagnostic tool and force it full-up then full-down to relearn those limits.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Does it go up right after starting the bike or wait until you start rolling?
If right away, then it's gps door related, if when rolling then switch related.

If cluster related, start the bike, get it rolling, as it goes up shut off bike. the bike may remember this as set height and stay down. Just an idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another possibility is the GPS cradle and it's lower switch that tells the bike the GPS is fully inserted. Try removing and replacing the GPS, and make sure that it's fully seated down (hold it down with your hand and try to move the screen down).
Does anyone have pictures, diagrams or a pdf manual for this situation? My GPS back cover and battery came off while installing, fell through the fairing, and the windscreen has been stuck full up since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this issue a couple of years ago and it had to do with the GPS cradle and the internal switch. The cradle does effect the windscreen function. Try removing the GPS and push the cradle down ... just a thought.
YES!
This Happened to me as Well n I Finally found it when I hit the Gos Cradle button up n down a couple times....

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nope. Of course I left that kit at home this time. They have a very capable shop and mechanic here that maintains all of the school's S1000RRs and I may be able to get his help if I knew what to jumper. I'd like to get it moved down a few inches and then just leave it alone.
Can you take the screen off for now?

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Does anyone have pictures, diagrams or a pdf manual for this situation? My GPS back cover and battery came off while installing, fell through the fairing, and the windscreen has been stuck full up since.
One of the original threads with links to more info.

This sounds to me like a limit switch from your GPS cover not initiating the switch in the GPS down (installed) position.

Have you made any progress?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts