BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They've given it wifi, 3D mapping and a texting interface to Garmin inReach. Has anyone heard any rumors of a new Navigator model?

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I heard scuttlebutt from a reliable source 6 months ago that a NAV VII was coming soon. Similar to Sena posting the 50S "coming soon" 4 months ago.. It's a WAG for when either will be available.

Duane

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found this on the MOA forum. Nav VI being discontinued.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I've never found any info on the Nav V or Nav VI on the Garmin site. As for the zumo XT, there is a pretty good discussion on the Adventure Riders forum...several of the guys have been digging into their new units and trying to answer everyone's questions. I'm trying to figure out the differences with regard from transferring routes from Basecamp into the XT versus teh 595LM units...this in a Rally type planning scenario. Wouldn't want to have to work through two different sets of files if I wanted to have a main set to transfer to the Nav VI and then a back up set into one of the other units. There have been some good comments on the readability and resolution of the XT screen over the 595LM.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that the XT also has larger dimensions than the Nav VI along with a larger screen and better resolution (more pixels). The electronic connections on the back are much simpler than the Nav VI so no direct compatibility to be able to drop one into a K1600 (yet?).

It's also compatible with Garmin's off-roading Explorer app.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My crystal ball suggests the relationship between BMW and Garmin coming to an end. Future sat nav will be via the TFT which will feature on the updated K1600 Pandemic model!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I've never found any info on the Nav V or Nav VI on the Garmin site.
Use the search function on the Garmin site - type in BMW Navigator VI and you will find it. It will confirm that the Nav VI is discontinued. Sure glad I bought mine just 3 months ago...

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
A
Use the search function on the Garmin site - type in BMW Navigator VI and you will find it. It will confirm that the Nav VI is discontinued. Sure glad I bought mine just 3 months ago...
Ah, silly me...I've always just typed in "BMW NAV VI" which won't get it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hopefully this is a sign BMW is planning a dash upgrade for ‘21. A TFT screen, Apple CarPlay, etc., would be nice.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
With the Nav VI discontinued, I think a Nav VII will be released with the 2021 model. While BMW have moved to the TFT screen with the new GSA and other models, they have not adopted Apple Car Play or the Android equivalent but gone with their own app. I believe this is because they want to keep the integration of the Wonderwheel for controlling the GPS.

This Motorrad video talks about the new TFT screen and the BMW Connectivity app. Note that it clearly says that if you need a GPS for complex routes while touring, they recommend the BMW Navigator GPS. So even if the 2021 K1600s have TFT displays :p, I believe they will still come with a Nav VII produced in partnership with Garmin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts