BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bikes been fine all day and now won’t start , 2 flashing warning symbols on dash when ignition on .. any ideas ?
Both ABS and DSC slow flashing no click no crank but everything else working , lights, alarm , central locking , dash etc

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
+1 on likely battery culprit

·
Registered
K1600 GTLe
76 Posts
Put a multimeter on the battery and see what it drops too when starter pressed, anything below 10.5 v usual indicates bad battery, even if 12v + with nothing on

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bikes been fine all day and now won’t start , 2 flashing warning symbols on dash when ignition on .. any ideas ?
Both ABS and DSC slow flashing no click no crank but everything else working , lights, alarm , central locking , dash etc
Those 2 lights are normal, they wont go off until you start riding the bike. Saw the same yesterday with someone on their 2012 GT where it wouldn't start. Tried all the usual things he and his mates had to bump start it to get it going. Suspect the starter switch on his bike.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I appreciate the emergency scenario, but we know nothing about you or your bike - model/year/mileage & most importantly the service history, along with an understanding of any recent service work as, so often, this leads us to the root cause of an issue. We aren't clairvoyant.

We are guessing at battery or battery/starter lead connections, or the right hand switchgear. You don't mention whether you can hear the fuel pump charging up when you switch on.

The starter motor itself is unusual as it is engaged by sprag clutch & is used to operate an electro-mechanical reverser on late model bikes.

Failing a cursory check of the battery/leads/connections, you will need to get the codes read - dealer, GS911 or similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the emergency scenario, but we know nothing about you or your bike - model/year/mileage & most importantly the service history, along with an understanding of any recent service work as, so often, this leads us to the root cause of an issue. We aren't clairvoyant.
sorry yes it was an emergency post as bought the bike yesterday morning and it failed to start in the evening after the dealer had closed . The bike is a 2011 K1600GTL E 36k miles full service history .. battery was fully charged overnight all fuses and relays checked .. I suspect the starter motor switch.
I’m David ex RAF 24 years ex ambulance service 4 years and ex security officer 8 years.I am an artist in my spare time making 3D printed models.www.pointyproductions.co.uk
I have owned a R1200RT for 13 years and decided to change , the dealer has been in contact this morning and is sending a trailer to take it back and hopefully fix .

·
Registered
769 Posts
Sending a trailer, today, Sunday? That's AWESOME customer service! Is this a BMW dealership? You might want to name them so others in your country can give them some business.

Reactions: Morgan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts