BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of last year my Wonder Wheel started to act up. I don't remember when but this one was put on my bike back when they were replacing the switch clusters under a recall. All functions worked but it started to turn super easy and I could barely feel the detents. I tried to clean it with some contact cleaner but that did nothing to help get the detent feel back. A couple weeks ago I was on a short trip and the WW was a pain to work with. I ordered a new one ($213 before tax) and replaced it yesterday/ today. Mine is the older 2012 version where you have to pull the gas tank to get to the connector. But, I would speculate that the detent mechanism is the same for the newer LinBus style. After I replaced mine, I took the old one apart to see if I could find out what went wrong. (Not sure why thumbnails are in different spots. Tried to correct it but now I'll try to live with it.)
Auto part

There's a flat steel "spring" (I'm pointing at it with a T6 driver that was needed to take the wheel apart) that rubs across the detents built into the inside of the wheel (see the triangular humps in the picture below). It looked like the spring was not sticking out where it could rub against the wheel's detents. I bent both of the curved parts of the spring out and when I put the wheel back on it felt very close to how it was when new. I tried to bend them out just a little bit more and broke the spring. Crap!! It broke right at the sharper bent center part of the spring. I had it in my hands when I bent the ends but I think I should have left it in place when bending the 2 curved ends out which may have helped support the center bent section. Had I know how it works and been more careful when adjusting it, I may have saved myself time and effort of dismantle/ installing and the cost of a new one. It may not have lasted very long before it got easy again but now there's no way of knowing. It may be possible to make a new spring but with the new WW paid for and installed, I have very little incentive to figure out how and or what to use. I know service departments hang on to some warranty parts for a period of time before they toss them and maybe a person could run across a WW that stopped functioning properly but the spring is still in good shape.

If you are having the same problem as I did, it might be worth a shot to see if you can fix it or at least get some more mileage out of it before you trade off your bike. >:)

Attachments

·
KBiK
2,246 Posts
Steve, thanks for an excellent report!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Good diagnosis and write-up, Steve. Haven't heard of the issue, but good to be aware of. I suppose it's spring steel and any bending of that material would likely be better done with heat bending process to help prevent it from snapping. I'd do like you....replace it!

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,472 Posts
Until someone bumped this thread, I'd forgotten about it entirely, but it was great to know, and I actually told someone about it a month ago at a dealer where a GS owner was complaining about his wheel. Don't know how it turned out, but this was great info., and a reminder that often, when someone, including BMW, says you just need a whole new widget/part/thingy out of warranty, you might as well take a look inside, because there's no harm if you tear it up, right? And you just might be able to fix it.

I'm sure many here are better at it than me in those situations, and I'm only batting about 1:3, but that's still a high enough success rate for me to keep doing it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'll add my experience to this thread....my wonder wheel lost the feeling of its detents too. It functions fine, but spins freely. Thanks to this thread, I disassembled it and found that my spring was broken as well. Knowing there isn't a replacement spring, I put it back together and it still works fine. Just gotta be careful that my thumb doesn't cause it to scroll thru the menu when I don't want it to. Again, hardest part (for me, at least) was making sure that I didn't crimp the heated grip wiring when I slid the assembly back onto the handlebar.

·
Registered
580 Posts
... to add to the story, I got the grip reassembled and attached to the bar, only to find the snap-on lower cover still sitting on my toolbox! 😡. So off with the grip again to piddle and fiddle with the cover, trying not to crimp anything, when one of the wires from the harness that plugs into the two prong connector for the heated grips pulls out of the connector. Not on the grip side, but on the harness side. Crap!! So while I assess what I’ll do next (ride without a heater on the left grip!) I put it back together and shut down for the day. Stupid me. Wonder wheels still functions fine, albeit loosely. But I managed to screw up the same accessory that I’ve replaced twice previously. This time from the harness side. AAARGH! 🤬🤬

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
@racer1735 I can feel that pain from a hundred similar memories. Exactly why I limit my wrenching when I can. I like to do it...it just seems bite me from behind eventually.

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,351 Posts
Hi ,my wonder wheel Is only working in three directions up down and to the left,can anyone suggest a lubricant for this wheel as I can’t see any other problems with it
The Wonder Wheel is a kind of "top hat" switch with an encoder and two contact switches. If the dial-up and the dial-down are working, and one of the switch functions are working, but not the other, then it is clearly the micro-switch for right (push).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts