BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning from beautiful Vancouver,
I had my GTL on order and from what my dealer had told me through their tracking numbers the bike was built on March 16th in Berlin. Then on train to a port, the last update I have is from friday the 20th, bike is in a shipping container waiting to be shipped to Canada, will it arrive? I have a couple of airheads to ride if the weather allows me, but I miss long touring with my wife on the back. Sold my 2015 GSA a couple of months a go!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I had my GTL on order and from what my dealer had told me through their tracking numbers the bike was built on March 16th in Berlin. Then on train to a port, the last update I have is from friday the 20th, bike is in a shipping container waiting to be shipped to Canada, will it arrive? I have a couple of airheads to ride if the weather allows me, but I miss long touring with my wife on the back. Sold my 2015 GSA a couple of months a go! View attachment 140635 View attachment 140636
Love the color.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
@Farzad The Happy Barber

Do you normally keep one of those bikes parked in your barber shop? When I first found my current barber several years ago, he had a beautiful 1920s French made motorcycle parked inside his shop that belonged to a friend of his. After several months, it was pulled to go out on a motorcycle show tour and it hasn't been back, sadly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@XPLSV Yes, I do, interesting about what you said about bike in the barber shop. I think my shop was the first one to do that and the reason I am saying that is: When I opened my shop 15 years ago I ran out of money to insure my GS, and thought of putting it in the shop that would make the shop look good, and a safe place for it since I didn't have a parking (lived in an apartment with no parking), I asked John the owner of then BMW Ducati of Vancouver if we could drain the fluid and put the GS in the shop, his response was: Don't do that, we will put a bike in your shop for promotion and you keep your bike on the road. They changed the bike every few months for quite a few years....15 years later I am fortunate enough to rotate my own bikes in the shop! You could see most of the bikes in the shop in the link below!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
@XPLSV Yes, I do, interesting about what you said about bike in the barber shop. I think my shop was the first one to do that and the reason I am saying that is: When I opened my shop 15 years ago I ran out of money to insure my GS, and thought of putting it in the shop that would make the shop look good, and a safe place for it since I didn't have a parking (lived in an apartment with no parking), I asked John the owner of then BMW Ducati of Vancouver if we could drain the fluid and put the GS in the shop, his response was: Don't do that, we will put a bike in your shop for promotion and you keep your bike on the road. They changed the bike every few months for quite a few years....15 years later I am fortunate enough to rotate my own bikes in the shop! You could see most of the bikes in the shop in the link below!
Great story! Rather than a Ride to Eat, I might have to do a Ride to Haircut one day...about the perfect distance for a Bun Burner 1500!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I had my GTL on order and from what my dealer had told me through their tracking numbers the bike was built on March 16th in Berlin. Then on train to a port, the last update I have is from friday the 20th, bike is in a shipping container waiting to be shipped to Canada, will it arrive? I have a couple of airheads to ride if the weather allows me, but I miss long touring with my wife on the back. Sold my 2015 GSA a couple of months a go
On the bold, nobody here can predict the future so nobody knows. Like the stock market, like the price of gold, like if any of us live to see the summer, nobody knows.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I enjoyed the barbershop photos! Beautiful R90S, probably the most iconic BMW along with the R69S.

After all this crisis is past, maybe I'll pop in for a haircut and chat. Take care and be safe.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Found the photo from January 2017 when I went to the Lincoln Street Barber shop here in Colorado Springs for the first time. I was heading there because I was many months into a beard that needed a proper trim and read good reviews on their beard trimming skills. When I got there, I found this 1930 AJS R12 in the shop, which I thought was very cool. Then they offered me my choice of a beer or whisky. They always have a neat selection of interesting books in that place, too. The motorcycle is now long gone, but they give a great haircut and I enjoy the conversation during my visit. Craft brewery next door, too. Look forward to my visit every two weeks!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Great story! Rather than a Ride to Eat, I might have to do a Ride to Haircut one day...about the perfect distance for a Bun Burner 1500!
You would be a cut above the rest lol

·
Registered
690 Posts
@atc250r I knew that, I was hoping if someone working in the shipping business or BMW would have some info, thanks!
I think you will be in the hands of every country that it needs to go through and what they are doing regards closing the borders. I am waiting on a rear wishbone for my XF Jag and not sure when or if it will be allowed into the country when it finally gets here. I feel your pain and hope it arrives quickly for you. one thing for sure it will arrive although that doesn't help anyone if we don't know when. It is like when we had to wait 6 months to allow BMW to find a fix and then produce parts for the recall, that was a long 6 months then we had the bush fires and now this virus. We will all come through this as long as we all do as we are asked to do but the experts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the photo from January 2017 when I went to the Lincoln Street Barber shop here in Colorado Springs for the first time. I was heading there because I was many months into a beard that needed a proper trim and read good reviews on their beard trimming skills. When I got there, I found this 1930 AJS R12 in the shop, which I thought was very cool. Then they offered me my choice of a beer or whisky. They always have a neat selection of interesting books in that place, too. The motorcycle is now long gone, but they give a great haircut and I enjoy the conversation during my visit. Craft brewery next door, too. Look forward to my visit every two weeks!
View attachment 140704
That is a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you will be in the hands of every country that it needs to go through and what they are doing regards closing the borders. I am waiting on a rear wishbone for my XF Jag and not sure when or if it will be allowed into the country when it finally gets here. I feel your pain and hope it arrives quickly for you. one thing for sure it will arrive although that doesn't help anyone if we don't know when. It is like when we had to wait 6 months to allow BMW to find a fix and then produce parts for the recall, that was a long 6 months then we had the bush fires and now this virus. We will all come through this as long as we all do as we are asked to do but the experts.
Yes we are all in it, I have closed my shop for almost two weeks. I closed it a week before they ask us to do so....the great thing is I live in a country, province and a city that the doctors are in charge not the politician! Stay safe my fellow rider

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes we are all in it, I have closed my shop for almost two weeks. I closed it a week before they ask us to do so....the great thing is I live in a country, province and a city that the doctors are in charge not the politician! Stay safe my fellow rider
I hope Canada is getting something together to help individuals and businesses (big and small) survive.

Removing or even reducing isolation restrictions too much too soon will revive the covid-19 outbreak, not the economy.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The second picture reminds me so much of the BMW I fell in love with while I was in High School (grad. 1978). It belonged to the father of several of my very good friends. He used it to commute from Southern Idaho to Pendleton OR, where he drove a Seattle to Boise bus route. He commuted year 'round on that thing. From that time on, I dreamed about owning a BMW.

I've owned two big Beemers now in the past six years: 2000 K12LTC (I put over 40k miles on it) and my current 2014 K1600GTL (on which I've put over 60k miles in the past three years).

Thank you for bringing some wonderful memories of my friends back to mind.

I had my GTL on order and from what my dealer had told me through their tracking numbers the bike was built on March 16th in Berlin. Then on train to a port, the last update I have is from friday the 20th, bike is in a shipping container waiting to be shipped to Canada, will it arrive? I have a couple of airheads to ride if the weather allows me, but I miss long touring with my wife on the back. Sold my 2015 GSA a couple of months a go! View attachment 140635 View attachment 140636

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
If it's anything like the route my bike's shipping container took, it'll go from Germany to some other port, like France, and be there for a week or two picking up more containers, before it starts it's journey across the pond. From the time my bike was in a container to the time it showed up at my dealer, a bit over a month.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Get your dealer to call you when your bike arrives. It was fun for me to watch them uncrate the bike:

We caught that a mirror had been scuffed in shipment and was replaced by the dealer by the time they had it assembled and ready to deliver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope Canada is getting something together to help individuals and businesses (big and small) survive.

Removing or even reducing isolation restrictions too much too soon will revive the covid-19 outbreak, not the economy.

Hang in there.
Yes, we have a great system and our government from federal to provincial level are doing a great job, the part that everyone is happy about is that here the doctors are in charge, you too STAY HOME, stay safe!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts