BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate making this post as there are a lot like it but I have to make a decision fairly quickly and I am still researching and getting myself confused. I also understand that the value is in the eye of the beholder and I may be the only one who can make that decision. I am buying a new G1600 Grand America here shortly and the dealer states that if I buy the Nav VI with the bike it gets the same 3 year warranty so I want to decide before I take delivery.

A bit on my situation:
  • Most riding will be solo
  • Planning a few week long or longer trips this summer
  • Phone is a Note 10+
  • Will be buying a new helmet and bluetooth device for it as I sold my previous with the old bike.
  • I want to use the Wonder Wheel whenever possible
  • I want to hear navigation through the headset
  • I want the Nav VI to be updated on traffic conditions if possible. (I assume this means my phone will need to be paired with the Nav)
  • I want to be able to listen to Spotify from my phone on the headset
  • I want to be able to take/make phone calls
  • I would like the option to listen to Sirius/XM
  • I would like the option to use Waze on my phone as well. I plan on mounting the phone to the handlebars in some fashion.
I know BT through the stereo is poor from what I'm reading. I'm really wodnering if having the Nav VI resolves that issue if everything is funneled through it or will I still want to add a separate Bluetooth transmitter? Is the quality better if it's routed through the Nav VI? I think that is going to be the main deciding factor. I like the navigation aspect of it too but honestly I can do that with my phone. The Wonder Wheel integration is a huge plus, especially in the cold with heavier gloves.

I appreciate any input. In the end I know only I can accurately determine if it's worth it for me or not. But just looking for some decent opinions while I continue to research by reading more and more posts.

Thanks,
Trent

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I can only tell you that compared to the previous BMW navs, the VI is the best by far especially from a screen visibility comparison and worth the $. I have had some reliability issues with mine but the screen is so much better there is no way I will go back to the V.

Your other options are using your phone, using one of the non-BMW branded Garmin navs or TomTom.

Your dealer might cut you a deal on the VI but if he doesn't, I still wouldn't pay more than $800 for it from the dealer. There are good deals on eBay to be found from time to time and here on this forum.

I think the warranty is 5 years: Warranty Length on a BMW Motorrad Device | Garmin Support

·
Registered
74 Posts
I gave up trying to use the nav vi for anything other than route directions , kept dropping or the order was wrong or some sort of BS - that just made the gain not enough to worry about - note i dont listen to music when riding so didnt really cause me any pain anyway. I have a sena 10c pro in an attempt to simplify all the connections

On the wonderwheel integration - i think you will be disappointed there too - yes it exists - but all the "interactions" are by selecting a menu item and pressing the wonderwheel -including zoom in and out. On my s1000 rolling the wheel could zoom in or out and i could use it to change screens - again on the k1600 you select a menu item and then change pages - overall - it sucks imho

sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but the nav integartion is the only thing i was dispaointed about after riding a previous bmw bike

I did get the nav vi and as has been stated the picture is good, i did have to send it back to be replaced which was easy - i still get glare off my hivis jacket but it is definately better than my nav 4 it replaced

Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
If you didn't have one then I would buy the NAV VI. BTW, if you are in the USA, the dealer is wrong about the 3 year warranty only when you buy the NAV with the bike. Garmin warranty on the NAV VI is 5 years.

Duane

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is music that is routed through the Nav VI decent and better than through the stereo itself or does it still really suck?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have only had my NAV VI a few weeks but IMHO music streamed through the NAV directly to the headset is better than through the bike system. The best quality though is from mp3's stored on the NAV itself. I am using a 32GB SD card and am very impressed. One caveat though, the wonder wheel will not control volume for music played directly from the NAV - it is controlled by the headset, either on the headset itself or you can get a remote.

I use the setup described in this video:

There are several threads that go into more detail on this, just search for them.

So is music that is routed through the Nav VI decent and better than through the stereo itself or does it still really suck?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have only had my NAV VI a few weeks but IMHO music streamed through the NAV directly to the headset is better than through the bike system. The best quality though is from mp3's stored on the NAV itself. I am using a 32GB SD card and am very impressed. One caveat though, the wonder wheel will not control volume for music played directly from the NAV - it is controlled by the headset, either on the headset itself or you can get a remote.

I use the setup described in this video:

There are several threads that go into more detail on this, just search for them.
I am leaning towards going this route and forgoing the Nav VI. I think I'd rather just use Waze instead and hopefully with voice commands things will be easier than the Wonder Wheel anyways. Where did you mount the Sena BT Transmitter and do you have any issues with it losing signal?

·
Registered
58 Posts
NAV VI plus Packtalk bold works break. I store songs as MP3 on SD card in nav. you can field calls, increase volume, change songs, listen to cardo (radio)--not bikes, music on Nav, GPS directions play through packtalk bold, waterproof, long battery, Voicecommands--so no remote, great sound

·
Registered
23 Posts
NAV VI plus Packtalk bold works break. I store songs as MP3 on SD card in nav. you can field calls, increase volume, change songs, listen to cardo (radio)--not bikes, music on Nav, GPS directions play through packtalk bold, waterproof, long battery, Voicecommands--so no remote, great sound
I hate making this post as there are a lot like it but I have to make a decision fairly quickly and I am still researching and getting myself confused. I also understand that the value is in the eye of the beholder and I may be the only one who can make that decision. I am buying a new G1600 Grand America here shortly and the dealer states that if I buy the Nav VI with the bike it gets the same 3 year warranty so I want to decide before I take delivery.

A bit on my situation:
  • Most riding will be solo
  • Planning a few week long or longer trips this summer
  • Phone is a Note 10+
  • Will be buying a new helmet and bluetooth device for it as I sold my previous with the old bike.
  • I want to use the Wonder Wheel whenever possible
  • I want to hear navigation through the headset
  • I want the Nav VI to be updated on traffic conditions if possible. (I assume this means my phone will need to be paired with the Nav)
  • I want to be able to listen to Spotify from my phone on the headset
  • I want to be able to take/make phone calls
  • I would like the option to listen to Sirius/XM
  • I would like the option to use Waze on my phone as well. I plan on mounting the phone to the handlebars in some fashion.
I know BT through the stereo is poor from what I'm reading. I'm really wodnering if having the Nav VI resolves that issue if everything is funneled through it or will I still want to add a separate Bluetooth transmitter? Is the quality better if it's routed through the Nav VI? I think that is going to be the main deciding factor. I like the navigation aspect of it too but honestly I can do that with my phone. The Wonder Wheel integration is a huge plus, especially in the cold with heavier gloves.

I appreciate any input. In the end I know only I can accurately determine if it's worth it for me or not. But just looking for some decent opinions while I continue to research by reading more and more posts.

Thanks,
Trent
I also use the Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone. I use the bike's audio system for my iPhone tunes because it's much louder than listening the same tunes via Nav VI and sound quality is great. With the wonder wheel I can scroll through all phone music categories as well as bike's radio. This is done paring one channel from phone to bike and second channel to Nav VI.

Note volume control is via Cardo wheel whether streaming music from phone or Nav VI. What is crucial is paring your helmet receiver's two channels in a correct sequence. And you can download the Garmin Smart Link app to your phone to get phone book, Foursquare, current weather and forecast, plus live traffic.

Enoy! (y)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I am leaning towards going this route and forgoing the Nav VI. I think I'd rather just use Waze instead and hopefully with voice commands things will be easier than the Wonder Wheel anyways. Where did you mount the Sena BT Transmitter and do you have any issues with it losing signal?
I installed the SM10 under the seat next to the Alpine unit, no issues with losing signal. I disconnected the battery and hard wired it to a switched power source. I ride solo, some have complained of signal loss to second headset.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
I would add the Nav VI to the new bike and move on. Why not have all the bells and whistles that are currently available. Why try and cut $ corners at this level of a purchase. My bike, a 2016, is set up with a Nav V, Sena SMH10R and my iPhone and I can do "everything" audio related with ease. It does take some time and trial and error to get all these devices talking to each other but once they are paired properly no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would add the Nav VI to the new bike and move on. Why not have all the bells and whistles that are currently available. Why try and cut $ corners at this level of a purchase. My bike, a 2016, is set up with a Nav V, Sena SMHR10 and my iPhone and I can do "everything" audio related with ease. It does take some time and trial and error to get all these devices talking to each other but once they are paired properly no problems.
Definitely not trying to cut corners but it sounds like BMW cut corners with their Bluetooth implementation which results in poor audio. In addition the Nav VI/Garmin seems to be lacking in some features that Waze offers such as traffic/hazard/police reporting from other users that is near instant. The great thing about the way BMW has this set up is that you can add the Nav at a later date and it still integrates seamlessly.

So if I go with the Motochello/SM10 route for better audio quality I may still get the NAV VI for the long trips where I would want to conserve my cell phone battery. In that case, if I pair my phone with the NAV so it gets traffic updates I wonder how I can make/receive calls because the NAV is sending it's sound to the speakers which the Motochello/SM10 is converting into a BT signal.....

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
With Waze, be prepared to have an off-line solution in place: I use Sygic and Earthmate. I have the Nav VI, but only because the price was better and it added a tertiary navigation system. I have two smartphones on charged cradles; one is used for my power center and the other is my street phone.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Definitely not trying to cut corners but it sounds like BMW cut corners with their Bluetooth implementation which results in poor audio. In addition the Nav VI/Garmin seems to be lacking in some features that Waze offers such as traffic/hazard/police reporting from other users that is near instant. The great thing about the way BMW has this set up is that you can add the Nav at a later date and it still integrates seamlessly.

So if I go with the Motochello/SM10 route for better audio quality I may still get the NAV VI for the long trips where I would want to conserve my cell phone battery. In that case, if I pair my phone with the NAV so it gets traffic updates I wonder how I can make/receive calls because the NAV is sending it's sound to the speakers which the Motochello/SM10 is converting into a BT signal.....
You also pair the NavVI directly to your headset and you can make calls just fine.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Nav VI on new bikes allows you to select from 16 metrics to display, typically on quarter screens including water temp, voltage, speed (exact GPS speed) fuel consumption, etc. I like it for that feature alone.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
My phone is paired to my Nav and then the Nav to one of the helmet Sena channels. The bike's audio goes through the Motochella then to a Sena SM10 which BT to a second helmet Sena channels. I can use the wonder wheel to select all the different ways the bike offers to get my music (via iPod, Sirius XM, AM, FM) as well as Norrad weather and Nav commands. The Nav then sends incoming phone calls to my helmet with top priority as well as it shows my phone contact list to make outgoing calls easy.
Almost all of my riding is on the open highway so I don't use Waze but I suppose I could but being a phone thing it would always be top priority and would cancel the bikes audio, "I think", maybe not.

There are as many ways to configure audio to your helmet as there are riders so there is no "right way" to do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You also pair the NavVI directly to your headset and you can make calls just fine.
So..
Phone --->NavVI
Motochello/SM10----->Headset
NavVI---->Headset

So does that mean that music from the bike or the NavVI would go through the Motochello/SM10 as if it was going through the speakers but when a call comes in it would mute that and send the phone call directly to headset? Thanks

Nav VI on new bikes allows you to select from 16 metrics to display, typically on quarter screens including water temp, voltage, speed (exact GPS speed) fuel consumption, etc. I like it for that feature alone.
Good info, definitely could consider that as added value. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts