BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Nice ride guys, hopefully we will be allowed to visit next summer. I will make a note of Applecross. And Yes I'll take my GTL with luggage and Madam up there with pleasure :D

·
Mr.Fix It
7,418 Posts
Similar to Howard's Lick Road that runs through Lost River State Park in West Virginia accept Howard's Lick not that long and has little to no traffic.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Cutback turns reminiscent of portions of the Devil's triangle in Tennessee; albeit not quite as narrow as the rode in vid appears. Met @dobervol there last year. Our first ride together on a rainy morning after a cup and a bite. He rode in on a bit of it the day previous, in the dark and possibly raining! Visibility must have been quite low. Not the kind of road to practice hitting your best apex on, but fun to explore. Never know what's around the next twist!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Nice ride guys, hopefully we will be allowed to visit next summer. I will make a note of Applecross. And Yes I'll take my GTL with luggage and Madam up there with pleasure :D
I rode all through the highlands tthree years ago. Quite lovely. No one should have a problem on riding those roads on a K1600.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another perspective. This is from our Scotland tour in 2019, we got a great day out. The road is quite narrow and quite steep with passing points, a friend of mine got knocked off his bike by an unfriendly native a few years ago. He was in a lay by allowing the traffic past and a land rover hit him on the shoulder with its wing mirror. He spent a night in the hospital and got a dislocated shoulder.

There are a couple of tight hairpins at the top that you need to think about, but all in all a nice run and the pub at the end in Applecross has a great menu.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was just about to comment on how polite the drivers were. I guess there is no getting away from the occasional problem. I would love to ride in the UK, except that I fear causing an accident by inadvertently moving to the wrong lane!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another perspective. This is from our Scotland tour in 2019, we got a great day out. The road is quite narrow and quite steep with passing points, a friend of mine got knocked off his bike by an unfriendly native a few years ago. He was in a lay by allowing the traffic past and a land rover hit him on the shoulder with its wing mirror. He spent a night in the hospital and got a dislocated shoulder.

There are a couple of tight hairpins at the top that you need to think about, but all in all a nice run and the pub at the end in Applecross has a great menu.

Same as most accidents on bikes not the motorcycle but the dangers from others

·
International Man of Mystery
3,556 Posts
Why wouldn't you take a K16 on that road? It looks fun and very scenic. But besides being more narrow than roads I see, it doesn't look exceptionally technical.
You certainly can take a R1250RT there. Just sayin' :)

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks David. I haven't done the Pass of the Cattle for years. Of the few real passes in the UK, I've always found the Hardnott & Wrynose Pass in Cumbria the more awkward TBH.

We first took the PotC route in my MGBGT in the late 1970s - it got very hot & bothered, in the absence of a Kenlowe fan. Later the overdrive started playing up as we did the circuit of Skye, dancing in & out without my intervention. Happy days; we took the trip to spectate on the Scottish Six Days Trial - IIRC Martin Lampkin won that year, again. Applecross looks more sophisticated than I remember but, conversely, there were very few camper vans getting in the way back then thankfully.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Absolutely I'd ride that road on my 1600! Beautiful scenery. At least there don't appear to be any blind hairpins or 2,000 foot drops should you miscalculate a curve.

Here's a similar warning sign from the north end of Highway 421, The Snake, in Tennessee.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had my K16 on Tail of the Dragon and other twisty roads so there's no place I would be afraid to take it so long as the road is paved.

·
Flying Dutchman
119 Posts
Looks like a great panorama road, just take it easy and enjoy the view! Have ridden many like these on my K in the Alps and other mountainous areas in Europe. Would be more stressed and concerned driving this road on four wheels...

·
KBiK
1,720 Posts
Reactions: Gaucho and DavidMcK

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Y'all really need to come to the USA & ride the Appalachian Mountain chain. We have many roads/ routes very similar to those shown on your video's. Yes, whole groups of experienced mountain K1600's riders have traversed them. Hope to see you at the 2021 TTD ( 2021 BMW’s Tame the Tail of the Dragon (TTD) , 2021 SE K1600 Mountain Riding Schedule ) Best,

Doc o_O o_O
Would love to Doc, but having looked at the Tail of the Dragon, it looks so wide you could get trucks down each side and a train up the middle. 😅 😅

That was a joke....................

Seriously, do you have any "Single Track" roads and I mean one vehicle at a time (unless its two bikes)?

If I was to come over, would some K16 friend lend me his bike? He could of course go pillion with me..............................................

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks David. I haven't done the Pass of the Cattle for years. Of the few real passes in the UK, I've always found the Hardnott & Wrynose Pass in Cumbria the more awkward TBH.

We first took the PotC route in my MGBGT in the late 1970s - it got very hot & bothered, in the absence of a Kenlowe fan. Later the overdrive started playing up as we did the circuit of Skye, dancing in & out without my intervention. Happy days; we took the trip to spectate on the Scottish Six Days Trial - IIRC Martin Lampkin won that year, again. Applecross looks more sophisticated than I remember but, conversely, there were very few camper vans getting in the way back then thankfully.
Your mention of the MGBGT reminds me of a funny incident. We had go to the top of the PofC and were taking in the scenery. The SAAB Scania HGV boys were having a Sunday run to Applecross, there were about 20 of them, no trailers, just cabs. We said to each other "Imagine being stuck behind that lot" and behind that lot was the Toyota MR2 club, soft tops the lot all dressed up for the day and boy were they steaming by the time they got to Applecross.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Would love to Doc, but having looked at the Tail of the Dragon, it looks so wide you could get trucks down each side and a train up the middle. 😅 😅

That was a joke....................

Seriously, do you have any "Single Track" roads and I mean one vehicle at a time (unless its two bikes)?

If I was to come over, would some K16 friend lend me his bike? He could of course go pillion with me..............................................
Nah, The Dragon's really not a good road for trucks...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts