BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

KBiK
The Dragon is a two lane road. Bealach na Ba, like many roads in Scotland is a single track road with passing places every 100 - 200 yards. Most of those passing places are too small for an 18 wheeler!

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
You certainly can take a R1250RT there. Just sayin' :)
Much as I hate to question the "International Man of Mystery" (who likes cheese and a little pot stirring from time to time).

But you would be surprised at what you can do on an RT, take this guy, at 8.13 he picks up and follows a K16 rider on the Grossglockner
And at 12.05 he smashes a perfectly good RT into a wall, warning, he made sure he filmed it well.

Perhaps its all about the guy/gal on the bike and not the bike. just sayin 馃ぃ

Registered
Much as I hate to question the "International Man of Mystery" (who likes cheese and a little pot stirring from time to time).

But you would be surprised at what you can do on an RT, take this guy, at 8.13 he picks up and follows a K16 rider on the Grossglockner
And at 12.05 he smashes a perfectly good RT into a wall, warning, he made sure he filmed it well.

Perhaps its all about the guy/gal on the bike and not the bike. just sayin 馃ぃ

Ouch! Another case of target fixation?

Premium Member
I'm no forensic crash investigator, but he seems like he's incompetent when it comes to lane discipline. It could be the effect of the camera?? If it were me, I would have kept the footage private! And I agree, @Vandaldog, it appears like some target fixation may have been involved. So, based upon the video evidence, the RT is capable of passing a slow moving K16, doesn't hold much of a line, causes late apex through curves, and missed apex crashes. Maybe braking is insufficient to slow the bike as it descends mountain side grades? I'll keep my K. 馃槣

Registered
Similar to Howard's Lick Road that runs through Lost River State Park in West Virginia accept Howard's Lick not that long and has little to no traffic.

Duane
You've just added one to my list. This is practically in my backyard. Can't believe I've missed it all these years of riding that section of W.Va. Thanks!

Registered
scotlands apple cross,done it earlier this year,on the k 2 up,also in the car.
but scotland has sooooo much more than this.
the thing i think off regarding that rt crash is ,when on you jollys think about getting home,as daft as it sounds.

Bubonic
Yes I would!

Thanks for sharing!

Premium Member
DavidMcK,

I really do not want to get into a pi..ing contest about motorcycle roads across the entire world. Here is a google map of a road we take some intermediate riders on to see how they are advancing with Mountain Motorcycle riding:

Greenville

Skyuka Mountain Road

The road is NC1136- Skyuka Mountain Rd to White Oak Mountain Dr just out of Columbus, NC. Yes, it is mostly a single lane residential road that finally got completely paved in 2019. There are 5 >270 degree switch backs that are >50 ft high going up and just 4 coming down. Up hill-single lane/ Down hill- single & double lane. A bit slow going on a K1600 but there is waterfall right on/next to the road. Always a bit wet. Not for the weak inexperienced rider.

If you decide to come to the 2021 TTD you can rent a bike at Wolf Creek Rentals (Home - Wolf Creek Rentals ). The Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge even can arrange for you to be picked up at the airport in Asheville, NC and brought out to the Lodge (Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge & Resort - Home ). We still have the luxury Big Bear Cabin (Big Bear | Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge & Resort ) open for rental during the 2021 TTD. There is a prize given for riders that come from the longest distance away to get to the TTD event- USA & Other Country鈥檚. In your case there will be a new prize category created: Longest Distance Away- WORLD.

There will be a special Sponsor gift for this category鈥

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
@garyculb And neither do I...................

Its interesting to see the challenges we give ourselves. I had a look at the Skyuka Mountain road you shared, thank you for sharing it.

Reference travel, I have a European trip booked for mid June, I hope to make it provided we get a Covid vaccine before then. At the moment the plan is that we get our vaccine around the end of February with a second jab probably end of May.

I have to say I am looking forward to international travel again, although my wife has a different meaning for it than me. I am told the next big trip is LA, Hawaii, San Francisco and then home.

KBiK
There are 5 >270 degree switch backs that are >50 ft high going up and just 4 coming down.
Doc,

I think to have a 270 degree turn you need to include a bridge or tunnel to cross over the road. I don't see any on the Skyuka Mountain Road. There are a few of those that I know of, most notably on Hwy 16A near mount Rushmore in South Dakota. This road has three 360 deg turns but all involve a bridge or tunnel to make the spiral.

Andy

Registered
@amorley As an aside, one of the few times I was close to overheating was on the switchbacks leading to the Scovel Johnson Tunnel. It was a hot Saturday in June, and cars were moving slower than snails in a rush. Lesson learned about the times NOT to travel around Mt. Rushmore.

Flying Dutchman
Very steep switchbacks (like the infamous Stelvio to Trafoi road) are never my favorite rides, not on any bike. I prefer the Gorges (Canyon) and balcony roads in France.
The smallest road I can remember riding now is the Mangart in Slovenia, that was quite challenging!

Banned
BMW K1600 GTL (K61) 2017, R1100 RT 1997, R1200 GS (2014)
Sure.

But not in that weather.
For me was easy!!!!!! I was raised in the borders of Scotland in a small farming community so these roads were my normal!!!!!! Scotland has some amazing biking roads and everyone should see my homeland before they die!! LOL..... great food, great people and amazing roads where summers are not HOT but often wet windy and cold.. teaches you how to ride in adverse conditions on bad roads!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
For me was easy!!!!!! I was raised in the borders of Scotland in a small farming community so these roads were my normal!!!!!! Scotland has some amazing biking roads and everyone should see my homeland before they die!! LOL..... great food, great people and amazing roads where summers are not HOT but often wet windy and cold.. teaches you how to ride in adverse conditions on bad roads!!!
Totally agree, some of the best roads in Europe. We do it each year in April, although we skipped last year and its not looking good for this one as well.

Registered
Then, you can graduate to this:

taft-california-march-road-signs-warn-drivers-desolate-conditions.jpg

Good road (one of my favorites), good weather (most of the time), straights, sweeps, twisties, hairpins and everything in-between. And best of all, too desolate for LEOs to mostly care about. (y)

The variety of terrain we can experience around the world is amazing. Experience it all.....

Registered
I was raised in Berlin, Germany. Same sh$tty weather, only the scenery sucked too. I prefer sunny USA. But, I get it, it's a long ride, I found western Spain to be a substitute, and the beaches of the Algave......

Banned
BMW K1600 GTL (K61) 2017, R1100 RT 1997, R1200 GS (2014)
Then, you can graduate to this:

View attachment 148722

Good road (one of my favorites), good weather (most of the time), straights, sweeps, twisties, hairpins and everything in-between. And best of all, too desolate for LEOs to mostly care about. (y)

The variety of terrain we can experience around the world is amazing. Experience it all.....
I have a home in Sonoma CA, so already use these types of roads a lot also... another 3 years in Europe and then I can come home to Sonoma!!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts