BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after I bought my 2013 GTL in June 2020 the chrome on the top box started bubbling in just one spot, and now it has a few spots as seen in the below picture.
I waxed it only once soon after purchase, but have frequently used Griots quick detailer so guess its that causing this.

I've also thought about stripping the chrome and painting it - any tips on doing that?

Does anyone have a good used one, or where the best deal is on a new one.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
****. That's the kind of thing that would put a real burr in my saddle. I simple couldn't stand it. You might just need to buy a new trim piece from BMW. I would.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I use Meguiar's Kwik Wax on mine. No issues so far. But the new-to-me 2018 BMW 430i xDrive convertible I bought two months ago has similar puckering on the bezel surrounding the shifter. A BMW car forum says it's a common occurrence for the cars.

Beamer Boneyard is the go-to for all sorts of parts. I'm wondering if BMW would sell just the trim piece or if they'd want you to buy the top case and all!

On edit: I found the trim piece on Max BMW's Parts Fiche. Item number 2 in chrome is $182.36. OUCH! Part number 46 54 8 522 938.

I hoped to link just the page with the top case on it, but it didn't work that way. This is the main parts fiche. Click on 46 - Frame, Fairing, Cases and scroll down.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I couldn't find it at Beemer Boneyard, and the best price I can find is at MAX BMW for $183

Not knowing what caused this, I don't know what quick detailer I should use going forward.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
I would seriously consider covering the chrome with vinyl wrap. You would have to sand the piece PERFECTLY smooth before applying the wrap.

Duane

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Does vinyl wrap shrink to fit? Lots of corners and turns on that piece.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the black one on eBay and like it, but its not a match with all the other chrome trim.

I've never done wrap, but will look into that.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,691 Posts
@Lee510 , yes,

But I wouldn't try to cover the whole piece. I'd use fine-line cutting tape and just cover the top.

Duane

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
It can't hurt to try the vinyl wrap, if you're committed to replacing it either way. I think it will be an exercise in extreme patience and detail. The subsurface will need to be perfect not to print through and the edges line up symmetrically or it may draw one's eye.

The replacement part is pricey, as expected, but you feel the pain once and the joy forever. Depends on how much pain the current condition causes you. I could not live with it. Some probably wouldn't care at all.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I know the reason for the chrome lifting.

I always cover my bike at work because of the power plant stack fallout damaging vehicles paintwork, and I believe it gets a lot hotter under the cover and the heat effects the chrome, and it got worse during the past few weeks of record high ambient.

I stopped storing my helmet on the bike because the visor pinlock was heat damaged.

I've bought the black GT topcase trim from MAX BMW for $130 and should arrive this week - Part # 46547729443.

I'll see if I can strip the chrome off the old one and paint it satin black.

How To Remove Chrome From Plastic (Without Destroying The Plastic)

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed.

$129 from MAX BMW which includes the roundel - I had the roundel off the chrome one with new mounting tape ready to go, but didn't need it.

The website shows the roundel as a separate item at $50.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts