BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long after I bought my 2013 GTL in June 2020 the chrome on the top box started bubbling in just one spot, and now it has a few spots as seen in the below picture.
I waxed it only once soon after purchase, but have frequently used Griots quick detailer so guess its that causing this.

I've also thought about stripping the chrome and painting it - any tips on doing that?

Does anyone have a good used one, or where the best deal is on a new one.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

I couldn't find it at Beemer Boneyard, and the best price I can find is at MAX BMW for $183

Not knowing what caused this, I don't know what quick detailer I should use going forward.

Light Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I know the reason for the chrome lifting.

I always cover my bike at work because of the power plant stack fallout damaging vehicles paintwork, and I believe it gets a lot hotter under the cover and the heat effects the chrome, and it got worse during the past few weeks of record high ambient.

I stopped storing my helmet on the bike because the visor pinlock was heat damaged.

I've bought the black GT topcase trim from MAX BMW for $130 and should arrive this week - Part # 46547729443.

I'll see if I can strip the chrome off the old one and paint it satin black.

How To Remove Chrome From Plastic (Without Destroying The Plastic)

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed.

$129 from MAX BMW which includes the roundel - I had the roundel off the chrome one with new mounting tape ready to go, but didn't need it.

The website shows the roundel as a separate item at $50.

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Wheel Car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts