BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone on this forum for so much helpful information on our K bikes.
I just installed the fender extender with the support bracket and even though the directions were not the best after reading suggestions here it went well.
My question is after install it seems that the extension just clears the lower radiator cowl by about a 1/4” or so. Anyone had an issue with the extender making contact when turning the handle bars while under way?
Appreciate any feedback thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I haven't bought it yet, but I have the same question. The Wunderlich looks to be better made, but a much closer fit, than cheaper models, somewhat because it comes down lower for more protection. Just want to be sure no one had an issue with rubbing...of the legal, but nonetheless undesired sort. :grin:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I put it on 3 years ago and zero issues. I don't recall installing any support bracket either. Good product and highly recommended; even though it's pricier than the cheapos on EBay, I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wonder since this Bike runs warm in traffic if that Fender extender doesn't Block some airflow.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Recently installed the Wunderlich fender extender on my B along with the bracket. No issues noted. Temp has not been any warmer.

I'd do it again

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wonder since this Bike runs warm in traffic if that Fender extender doesn't Block some airflow.
Fender extender works fine, its what the bike should have had from the design stage.

The problem with airflow is the big, solid, plastic lump down the middle of the radiator. I have had 3 K16's and the only one that did not overheat was the one that I put the Rad Guard on.

My current bike is a 2017 K16 Sport, that overheated last year in France, no other bike in the group overheated. I spray (road grime detergent) and wash the radiator every time I was the bike.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Prince & David

I ride the K1600 in 95F / 35C in stop and go I hear the fans often at speed they don't seem to engage.

Some of these Fender extenders on the market are ill conceived and block airflow to a already low surface area radiator.
removing a Radiator conveyer to insert a mesh protection panel shouldn't 't give you more airflow. That is the sole purpose of that center conveyer.

I am not saying that the K1600 couldn't benefit from a fender extender just not one so close to the radiator that restricts airflow.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
The louvered OEM guard on the front of the radiator already blocks air flow. If you look at it, it is louvered in the front and solid at the rear so effectively no air is passing through it.

When the front fork is pointing straight, the fender extender does not block any more air than the louvered guard.

Once the fender extender is installed, the louvered guard can probably be removed which likely would help with the cooling. Or, remove the louvered guard and drill a bunch of holes in the back to allow some air flow. If I ran on a lot of gravel roads I would not remove the louvered guard.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wil

I see what your saying after reading your Post it does appear like the center Radiator conveyer is just non functional.

What a shame so in this case it's removal would increase airflow.

But it also brings up this question if it's fake and a solid piece why purchase a fender extender.
Does the fender extender stop all those tiny pebbles that accumulate on the bottom of the header shroud?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
In my case, I didn't realize that the louvered guard had a solid back until I got down there to install the extender; However, I went ahead and installed the extender anyway because it will keep the gunk out of the louvered guard which is very hard to clean without taking it off the bike (pita) - not that it requires cleaning for radiator function. Also, I guess the extender will also keep the general area cleaner from muddy spray. Like I noted, the louvered guard is not really necessary after the extender is installed. I bought the eBay one for $30 so no big deal either way for me and I plan to drill some holes in the louvered guard.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Two things I am pretty certain of:

1. I never had an overheating issue on the 2015 K16 that I fitted a Rad Guard to. I have had overheating issues on the 2012 bike and the 2017 bike.

2. I know of no other motorcycle (ever made) that needed a lump of plastic down the middle of the radiator.

3. Sorry, this is an extra one. The K16 runs hot and above all needs good airflow through the radiator.

I would love to speak to designer who decided that the front wheel on a K16 was different from all other bikes (ever made) and therefore a plastic lump had to be stuck on the front of the radiator.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I see what your saying after reading your Post it does appear like the center Radiator conveyer is just none functional.
It is functional. It's just that its function isn't to pass air, but rather to stop dirt/mud/asphalt/pebbles being thrown up by the front tire from directly impacting the radiator.

What a shame so in this case it's removal would increase airflow.
Yes, it would increase airflow, but would also leave the most vulnerable part of the radiator exposed to damage.

But it also brings up this question if it's fake and a solid piece why purchase a fender extender.
It's not fake, as it does serve a protective purpose. A fender extender simply provides additional protection.

Does the fender extender stop all those tiny pebbles that accumulate on the bottom of the header shroud?
It would minimize those, as it would reduce the arc that leads between the front tire and the radiator.

I noticed that anything that gets caught by the middle guard falls to the bottom of the guard and collects there, as there's no easy way for it to fall back out. So I cut out the bottom fin from the middle guard. Now, if a pebble gets thrown up from the front tire, it impacts the middle guard (and not the radiator), drops to the bottom of the guard, and falls out on its own.

I've also found that adding a layer of aluminum window screen between the large plastic mesh guard and the radiator itself does keep the radiator cleaner. Bugs and muck tend to get caught on the screen, rather than getting embedded between the radiator fins.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I plan to drill some holes in the louvered guard.
Heck, after reading all this, I plan to do it before I take my first ride and get it dirty under there, unless some engineering type here can credibly point out why that's a bad idea.

All I can think if is that they were trying to keep muddy water from going through the radiator to the engine behind it, but I thought the whole point of having a radiator on any water-cooled vehicle was to cool the water by allowing air to easily pass through the fins from front to rear.

I'll admit to being stunned that the back of the radiator would be blocked from letting airflow past.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I added a fender extender to my '14 RT too - the front of the engine was exposed to road gunk and I got tired of cleaning it. Also, it gave it some protection against rocks but I suspect that rocks must be low on the list of possible damage or BMW would have put some kind of protection there.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
All I can think if is that they were trying to keep muddy water from going through the radiator to the engine behind it,
I am watching my fender extender to see if it stops all of the muddy crap from getting to the louvered guard. If it does, then I don't see any reason why holes can't be drilled in the back of the louvered guard to aid in air flow to the rad. I will probably keep the louvered guard on because it does give some extra protection against rocks and stuff but I'll put a bunch of holes in the back of it and keep an eye on things..............

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
If I was to drill holes in the back of the rock guard I would also see if it's possible to cut a piece of screening to slide into the inside of the rock guard between the fins and back to prevent the rocks/ pebbles from going through the holes and hitting the main plastic grill piece.

Personally, I would never run without the rock guard. I can fill the palm of my hand with rocks that fall out when I remove the rock guard for cleaning and that's with the Wunderlich fender extender installed. The rock guard may restrict some air flow but if it was removed air flow would eventually be restricted with all the debris that now would have a chance to plug the main grill. IMHO it's better to come from the back of the radiator if you want to blow out the radiator with compressed air. The cooling fan is in the way when trying to do that on the lower half of the radiator. With that said, with the rock guard removed it would be difficult to clear out the center lower section of the radiator and could easily offset any advantage of not having the rock guard in place.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Fender extender or not, the whole front wheel assembly already blocks most of the incoming airstream from hitting where the center rock guard is. I find it hard to believe cutting holes in - or removing - the center guard is necessary to keep the K16 from overheating.

I just got my GT late last Spring and didn't get to ride too much last Summer, but I did put the bike through some 95+F days, where around here that could mean 105F over the big superslabs, especially if they are elevated. Not a single sign of elevated temps. I'll be riding a lot more this coming Summer, so we'll see.

IMO, keeping the radiator clean is the key.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think keeping the radiator clean and eliminating air in the coolant is key to not overheating. There is going to be some air flow through the radiator directly behind the guard, not as much as if nothing was in the way but there will be some especially when the fan is running. The guard is solid on the back to keep stuff that is trapped from passing on through and clogging up the fins. The louvers are there to help trap debris so that it falls to the bottom rather than bouncing off the back and going around the guard. At least, that's what makes sense to me. For now, I'm not going to alter mine. I've been thinking about the W fender extender, but I'd like to see some evidence that it keeps the radiator fins cleaner. At present, I think it is more likely that debris and dirty water would hit the original louvered guard if the tire didn't have a fender extender; but I'm open to hearing facts to the contrary.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts