BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am considering buying a lifting handle from Wunderlich...has anyone fitted one?Pros and cons...
thanks
Henry

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Your not supposed to lift the bike onto the center stand. You consentrate on pushing down on the center stand to lift it. I know I sound nuts but it works. Unless the bike is loaded down than just forget it.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Haven’t seen one fitted or otherwise. My guess is they’re expensive but quality made.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have one, or had one. Well made and it felt like a good thing, but I never got the K on the center stand in my 6000+ miles with her. I don't think this is a must have accessory but it is very well made. Sorry, never took a picture of it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Having owned both an ST1100 and a ST1300 which both have nifty lifting handles I bought a Wunderlich lifting handle for my K1600 while awaiting delivery of the bike.

I regret to say that it was a foolish investment. Unless you have arms the length of a gorilla it’s far too low to use. It's nicely made but worthless. Save your money.

·
Registered
633 Posts
This handle is for putting it on the center stand? If you are doing it right, I think you shouldn't need one.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I went out to the wunderlichamerica.com website to check it out. Saw the video. Somebody should tell them how to pronounce Wunderlich.

Anyway, if you don't like the ergonomics of pulling on the passenger grab handle, you might try using a 1" tube strap (soft nylon) tied with a water knot to make a loop. You can cow hitch it to some different places on your bike and try different loop lengths to see what works best for placement to keep your arm straight down. To lift, put your hand through the loop and grasp both sides of the loop so that the top of the loop goes around the back of your wrist. It's really just to increase the weight you are putting on the center stand lever, you aren't actually trying to lift several hundred pounds of motorcycle with your hand.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's really just to increase the weight you are putting on the center stand lever, you aren't actually trying to lift several hundred pounds of motorcycle with your hand.
Correct, and that's exactly why the Wunderlich handle is useless as it requires you to bend your back significantly to reach it (odd physiques excepted, of course!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have one, or had one. Well made and it felt like a good thing, but I never got the K on the center stand in my 6000+ miles with her. I don't think this is a must have accessory but it is very well made. Sorry, never took a picture of it.
Unlike me, I put the bike on center stand anytime I park her for more than an hour

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I went to buy a lifting handle for $179 US in 2018, and they were out of stock. When they came back in, the price went up to $215.00. When I asked why such a huge jump in price, they told me their shipping costs went up. $36 each to cover shipping costs?

Wunderlich has really good products, but their prices match the acronym for "Break My Wallet".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Guys....
Guess I shall keep my money and spend it on something that will prove useful!!! I agree that Wunderlich prices are off the scale but the quality is good.
Stay safe and healthy.
Henry

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Thanks Guys....
Guess I shall keep my money and spend it on something that will prove useful!!!
Stay safe
Henry
I went through the exact same decision process, and thankfully, experienced people stopped me, and helped me save my money. Until now, I'd never had a center stand on a bike over 500lb., so the physics of properly getting the bike on the stand never mattered before. On this one, you have to use proper technique, or be a competitive powerlifter.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Nice to know. BMW swear they engineered this thing to be fine living on the sidestand, and I know that many people who ride 2-up let the pillion climb aboard before the rider, with all the weight of her + the bike on that sidestand, and who have done so for many thousands of miles. I'm sure if the pillion stands up, and puts all her weight on the ourside peg, it helps, but still, that sidestand HAS to be very well engineered, or a lot of people would have broken it right off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree the side stand is well engineered.Most ferry companies demand the bike be placed on side stand and strapped down in that position which is much safer than strapping down on the main stand as some other ferry operators demand.I much prefer that both wheels are in contact with the deck and the bike left in gear ...just in case the sea crossing gets choppy. At times like this one relies on a sturdy well engineered side stand.👍

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I had one, It worked ok but nothing like the handle on my ST1300, I took it off and went back to the grab rail and donated it in the Pass it forward thread. Pushing with the leg is the key!

·
Registered
151 Posts
A good hard soled boot makes getting my B on the center stand pretty easy. No way I can do it in soft soled shoes. Yes, I have to change my shoes if I'm going to do any cleaning. It's worth it for me.

Zach

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am 6' 3" and 205 lbs and lhave great difficulty using the centre stand.
Tried everything.... made my own handle styled after the one mention.....threw it away.
Made a wedge out of oak. 1 inch high 1 foot long and 6 " wide.
Carry it in the side case.
Amazingly simple...even for an old man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went through the exact same decision process, and thankfully, experienced people stopped me, and helped me save my money. Until now, I'd never had a center stand on a bike over 500lb., so the physics of properly getting the bike on the stand never mattered before. On this one, you have to use proper technique, or be a competitive powerlifter.
:LOL:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I am considering buying a lifting handle from Wunderlich...has anyone fitted one?Pros and cons...
thanks
Henry
Yes, fitted one a couple of months ago. Complete waste of time and money. It is far harder to use than the pillion grab handle. I have been unable to get the bike on the centre stand with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just want to reiterate what others have said about technique. This center stand got very easy when I finally started doing it correctly. I had a 1200LT and a 1200GS and the GTL is easier than those. It took numerous tries to fully commit my weight down on the stand. Naturally I was concerned about balance/tipping. Once you put significant weight downward, the GTL is stable. You continue to transfer your weight(the right foot) until the other foot lifts off the floor with my left hand on the left grip and right hand on the left passenger grab handle there is only about 10 pounds of pull to fully set it on the stand. Again, if you’re like me it will take practice to fully press down before lifting.
please remember to raise the side stand so you don’t forget it before getting down off the center stand.
To get it down, again the left hand on the left grip and right hand on the left passenger grab handle. Now steer 1/4-1/3 of maximum turn away(right) and position your right arm nearly strait and you left arm should bent so you can extend it at least 18 inches. Your feet should be about 8-12 inches outside of the foot peg width and shoulder width apart. I find it takes more effort to pull it off the center stand than on. Pull forward and as the bike rolls off hold it up with your right hand(about 20 pounds). You now should have each arm bent about the same amount. Once you feel stable, just put down the side stand and voila, you’re done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts