BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any year round riders for day trips in western WA?

Hello to all,

I'm fortunate to have a schedule that allows time off during the week, and end up more often than not taking day trips around western Washington. I ride year round when road conditions allow, and am looking for any that may want to join me.

If anyone is interested, please either tack on to this thread or PM me. I'm also hoping to hear about routes that folks may have to suggest.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'm in - Sammamish , WA - always looking for a nice day ride - I've been riding in the Western Washington area for a long time - so have covered quite a few of the routes - but some are well worth the ride again - Hurricane Ridge comes to mind...any way - once we get out of the "freezing" weather and looking at a reasonably dry day - let's go for a spin.

regards,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely.

I was hoping I could jet out today and take Green Valley out to Cumberland, but the sun never came out to melt off the slick roads (**** you Rich Marriot). Doesn't look any better for tomorrow, either.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I'm a year round rider but on the wrong coast.
A few years back I was working in Kennewick, WA. (or maybe Pendleton, OR) I forget.... But there was this overlook on the edge of the upland desert that I thought was really cool. On one side was the desert, the other had cows, houses, trees and water. Would've been excellent on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
In Colorado I ride all year. You just have to stay out of the mountains. I will have one of the bikes out today after getting 8 inches of snow last week.

Reactions: Warrior

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Colorado I ride all year. You just have to stay out of the mountains. I will have one of the bikes out today after getting 8 inches of snow last week.
You Sir, are a true motorcyclist.:bow:

My issue that's keeping me off these last couple of days is the frozen surface water on the roads, just waiting for that part to end. It's looking promising come Friday/ Saturday.

·
Texas Thorn
2,304 Posts
After 3 degrees on Saturday, it was 78 degrees yesterday. Wanted to go ride after lunch, but work calls. Finally get home at 5pm, got on the GSA and did about 25 miles of dirt. WooHoo! Good therapy.:smile:

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I am retiring Feb, so until then pretty busy, plus I am fixing bike.
After Feb, will be open for lots of rides.
I too have road this area for 30+ years
larry

·
Texas Thorn
2,304 Posts
You guys have inspired me. Was some cooler today, but managed to put in 98 mi on the Kbike before dark. Came over a rise just before sundown, to find 4 mule deer does and one buck grazing beside the pavement. The brakes on this bike work great ?! The deer ? just stared at me, did not run. Guess they wanted to check out the GTL.:eek:

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I haven't owned a car in 25 years.

Every day is a riding day... :k16:

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I am retiring Feb, so until then pretty busy, plus I am fixing bike.
After Feb, will be open for lots of rides.
I too have road this area for 30+ years
larry
Congratulations!
I retired last June, early due to disability, but glad I did.
Enjoy being able to ride most anytime. I stay busy with work around the house, but don't let any cobwebs form on the K.
Best.

·
KBiK
1,347 Posts
I ride all year round. 300 miles on KBiK yesterday playing silly games that are just an excuse to ride. It was 80 deg F so I had to open the vents on my suit.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Edit: Apparently, today is not a riding day...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I live in Puyallup - free most weekends

not a bar to bar rider

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edit: Apparently, today is not a riding day...
You folks in Oregon have been dominating the local news up here from all the snow down there. It's been luck of the draw for us in the Puget Sound area. We've had the cold air mass in place for a while now, but very little moisture for snow, all of it has been hitting the Olympics/ Cascades.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Lots of light, fluffy snow yesterday, around 4"-5" near me. People laughing, taking pictures, dredging up their old sleds and even skis.

Give it a couple days of being just warm enough to melt during the day, then cold enough to refreeze at night, and it all becomes a slippery icy mess.

Think I'll just stay home for a few days...

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Lots of light, fluffy snow yesterday, around 4"-5" near me. People laughing, taking pictures, dredging up their old sleds and even skis.

Give it a couple days of being just warm enough to melt during the day, then cold enough to refreeze at night, and it all becomes a slippery icy mess.

Think I'll just stay home for a few days...
I split time between Eugene and Portland. It was a beautiful (but cold) day, when I decided to ride up to P town. A day later we had 6 inches of snow in Eugene. I thought no problem, I'll drop the bike off for my 18k service. Two days later, 6 inches of snow in Portland.

I can't win!

The snow melted in Eugene, but it doesn't look like the snow in P town is going anywhere soon...we still have 5 inches in front of the house up there.

Luckily, the dealer said no prob, no storage fees - lol.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I ride to work every day from north of NYC to the Financial District-about 50 miles each way. I'm on the road unless there is snow or ice on it. For these rides, I'm on my R1200r roadster. My K1600 is no fun in the city. On weekends, I play on my K1600 and in nicer weather will take long trips on it with my wife as pillion.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Year round...daily commuter. But then, doesn't get too cold in Florida.

I envy you guys in the Northwest; best riding roads in the country.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts