BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend are doing a ride out West in two weeks. Parking the truck in Colorado and heading up to Yellowstone and then to Glacier. What some good roads along that route to ride?

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
If you are in that area, you must do Beartooth Pass (US 212) between Red Lodge and Yellowstone's NE Entrance. Related, Hwy 296 looks interesting too but I've not done it.

Not knowing how direct you want to go, here are some idea:

The run on US 93 between Challis, ID and Missoula, MT was a fun run for me last summer (I did it N to S). It is not great for the few miles near Missoula (too crowded) after a bit, it opens up and was fantastic. US 93 between Challis and either Blackfoot or Idaho Falls is nothing special but may be necessary just to get somewhere.

Another great road that was practically deserted was Hwy 37 between Eureka, MT and Jennings, MT. Again, I ran it N to S, and it was largely downhill in that direction. It was a gorgeous view along the side of a large lake for miles and miles. If you have your passport, you could loop through Canada north of Eureka and come back in east of Glacier.

If you go to "Many Glacier"/"Swiftcurrent" on the east side of Glacier, be aware that the road into it is horrible. Very rough. You can do it, but it will be a slow ride for most of it.

We did a loop from Kalispell across Going to the Sun then south on US 89 and US 2 back to Kalispell. If I were to do it again, I might just take the run back to Kalispell over Going to the Sun again. It wasn't a speed run by any means but oh so beautiful.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Either Colorado Hwy 14 out of Ft Collins over to Walden then north or In Wyoming out of Laramie take Hwy 130 over the the Medicine Bows. Up around Yellowstone lots of good stuff, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy, In the Big Horns Hwy 16,14 or 14A.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
we're gong on vacation late Aug - Driving over the Highway to the Sun road and Beartooth Pass

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
A few years ago I started using Butler Maps: https://www.butlermaps.com/, and Mad Maps: https://www.madmaps.com/. They were incredibly useful in putting together my cross country trip and I use them for at least part of most road trips.

Road to the Sun/Going to the Sun, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph and so many other great options. I love how the maps from Butler and Mad layout a bunch of options on one large map or few. From there I connect the dots to determine how to get to and from where we need to go.

Enjoy the planning. I'm not sure what part of Colorado you are taking off from but a few years back we took off from Colorado Springs and headed up to Steamboat Springs, over to Dinosaur, UT, up through the beautiful mountains of Utah and our biggest pleasant surprise of the trip was how beautiful the mountains of Idaho were. If you can work some of that Utah and Idaho mountain trajectory into your journey it could be good on one leg. Working in a good amount of Montana and Wyoming on the other leg is a good loose plan. Lolo Pass, Bozeman, Yellowstone area (less the park as it can be crazy busy unless you don't mind crazy busy), Teton, Jackson are all pretty great.

Much of why I used the Butler and Mad Maps was there were so many good options to choose from. Those resources giving me the big picture was extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Me and a friend are doing a ride out West in two weeks. Parking the truck in Colorado and heading up to Yellowstone and then to Glacier. What some good roads along that route to ride?
Wow thank u'all for motivating me! As i just retired, will add this thread to my list. Folks post so much good info.

Only lost me on the part about truck :laugh:

Thanks again, Mike

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
The best time to do Road to the Sun is during the week, and even then it is quite busy. It really is a ride for the scenery, as opposed to for the road. The last time we did it we went across on one day, stayed in Kalispel and then came back across it again the next morning. Didn't have to pay for the additional trip as it was covered under the first day pass. it looks different coming back the other way so definitely worth it.

·
Q
5,247 Posts
My route up there takes me through the Grand Tetons from Jackson into Yellowstone from the south entrance. It would be a shame to go that far and not see Grand Teton NP.

When you hit the intersection to go left to Old Faithful or right to Yellowstone lake... go right around the lake. Heading over to the southwest part of Yellowstone where Old Faithful is will get you sucked into an endless abyss of heavy traffic that will consume most of your day getting to and from that location. Traffic in Yellowstone is very heavy during the summer months and a lot of it is around the big attractions like Old Faithful etc.. Also anytime there's an animal within sight of the road, the traffic stops and backs up. One of these stops allowed me to see one of the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life and living in Colorado... I've seen a few.

The ride around the lake is nice. The ride out the east entrance to Cody is fantastic.

RefCat referred to 296 above which is the Chief Joseph hwy. it's a great road and not only for the ride.. the scenery is amazing.

I think one of the keys to seeing some of the larger attractions in Yellowstone is to get started early in the day. If you hit the park at 9 in the morning, your too late. Next time I go up there I'll be standing in front of the Tetons at sun rise with my camera ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts