BMW K1600 Forum banner

Yellowstone

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  afhorsley 
#1 ·
On my upcoming trip to Yellowstone it has been recommended that I stay at the Yellowstone Inn. As I'll be traveling with a buddy and without our wives, the luxury of our stay is secondary to finding two rooms at the best place in the park using location for our explorations as a guide. My Yamaha riding buddy is an El Cheapo rider but I'll press the issue if there is a special place worth staying at. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
You won't find a "cheap" place near Yellowstone. Even the KOA Campground is $50 per night. I did that for 2 nights last year on the West gate, and stayed in a great cabin near the East Gate called "Crossed Sabers" a fantastic place for around $200 per night. It rained all night, I loved it.

I'm doing Alaska for the entire month of July, we hope to meet other riders up there. We rented a room in a house in Anchorage for $250 per week. We have it for 2 weeks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#5 ·
We stayed at the Grey wolf lodge. Nice hotel, similar to a holiday Inn. It has an underground parking garage. Price was reasonable for W Yellowstone

#10 ·
Last summer I did the "great American road trip" with the family. We spent 2 nights in red lodge MT. I highly recommend the red creek resort where we stayed. Beautiful little town. A little less tourist filled. A few very good places to eat. Going to take you a little while to get to the park, but you ride through the Bear Tooth Pass as stated earlier and that pass is breathtaking. I unfortunately did it on 4 wheels and only wished I had a bike with me.

#11 ·
We went through Yellowstone last July while going from Red Lodge, MT to Casper, WY. The road was backed-up about 12 miles to see Old Faithful. Couldn't miss the moose, elk, bears, etc; there would be 30-40 idiots blocking the highway. Enjoy your trip. I can say, "I've been to Yellowstone", and I won't be returning anytime soon.

Duane

Reactions: Ranger1
#12 ·
We went through Yellowstone last July while going from Red Lodge, MT to Casper, WY. The road was backed-up about 12 miles to see Old Faithful. Couldn't miss the moose, elk, bears, etc; there would be 30-40 idiots blocking the highway. Enjoy your trip. I can say, "I've been to Yellowstone", and I won't be returning anytime soon.

Duane
Exact time frame I was there and had an identical experience.

#17 ·
Everywhere but Old Faithful is awesome in my opinion.

Chef Joesph Highway is a must, and in my opinion is more fun than Beartooth. This was my route to sturgis this year with the B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Best to stay in the park if you can. Once through the gate it can be another hour to get to a destination. The speed limit is 45. No luxury or cheap to be found, but Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Old Faithful Inn are ok. Roll out as early as possible--first light seems to be the best time to see wolves and bears.

#19 ·
Best way to experience Yellow stone mid-summer is by bicycle. Its great coming up on a bear jam and not even slowing down. You stop anywhere you like and parking is a joy. You can buy a shower at Old Faithful lodge before chowing down. All campgrounds have preferred hiker/biker sites with no reservation required. Heck, a saw a German tourist on a rented Harley snag a HB site next to mine at Jenny Lake (Teton Park). He set up and proceeded to purchase a (root)beer out of the vending machine. To his dismay, it was not the beer he was expecting. The advice about Bear Tooth and Cheif Joseph highway is spot on. Enter the park at dusk, not between 7am and noon. May and Sept are best via M/C but bring heated gear. I've camped in the Lamar valley waking to a herd of bison surronding the tent, GTL miles away at the trailhead.

#20 · (Edited)
What an utterly fabulous place the USA is. It's been my privilege to travel the length and breadth of it on two wheels and four. I only hope that Covid takes a hike very, very soon, allowing my good lady and I to return. Alaska and the West is beckoning again.

We were thinking of shipping our GTL out to the USA for the trip, but have to sort out insurance and the like which, I understand can be a pain for a foreign registered bike. We're going to take 3 months or so, which justifies the expense of shipping but more importantly we'll have a bike made for us, to do all those miles :)
In the meantime stay safe and stay well.

A very jealous Brit.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.