BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
2022 BMW K1600 GTL Gravity Blue Metallic
1,368 Posts
So… I’ve gotten 2 of the 5” CarPlay screens and I could get neither to work for some reason. I verified I was getting power to the screens, they just wouldn’t turn on. I tried connecting via a SAE cable directly to the battery, and from an adapter connected to the bike’s DIN socket - no go on either power connection method.

So I’m sticking with the 7” version that I posted in the above pictures, and it’s working well. I also got an inline power on/off switch that works nicely, as the screen doesn’t have its own power switch.

Basically I’m only using the CarPlay screen for navigation via the inRoute routing app with I love - so much better than BaseCamp!
Everything else - music and phone calls come through the bike. I can also use the bike’s Connected app navigation if I want by just turning off the CarPlay screen. If the CarPlay screen is on, the TFT can’t connect to the phone for WiFi map transmission, as WiFi is connecting from the phone to the CarPlay screen.

So all in all this is a very nice navigation upgrade for me, and the 7” screen is closer to me and has much more map detail than the TFT map, and is also easier to read. Here in Southern California it doesn’t rain much, but if it does I can cover the screen with a ziplock bag or just remove it. I also plan on shrink-wrapping a USB-C connection for further waterproofing.

· Registered
2022 K1600B
182 Posts
Ron,

Thanks very much for the update...I just received my 7 inch display today...I'll be playing with it tomorrow along with the best way to mount it. I have the tubular bars (from Helibars - no cross bar). I plan to use the USBc port from the cell phone carrying device behind the TFT screen (2022 K1600B). I speak for many - much thanks for your input and experience. Look forward to meeting you someday - live a few klicks northwest of Torrance.

Semper Fi

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Ron,

Thanks very much for the update...I just received my 7 inch display today...I'll be playing with it tomorrow along with the best way to mount it. I have the tubular bars (from Helibars - no cross bar). I plan to use the USBc port from the cell phone carrying device behind the TFT screen (2022 K1600B). I speak for many - much thanks for your input and experience. Look forward to meeting you someday - live a few klicks northwest of Torrance.

Semper Fi
I PM’d you with more info.
Semper Fi!

· Registered
2022 K1600B
182 Posts
Greetings,

First of all - my thanks to Ron for his assistance and inspiration...thank you Ron.

2. I completed the install today...no road test yet.
3. I've attached a few pics on how I attached the high quality CarPlay monitor (yeah right, high quality). Please don't ask which model I purchased - it's the high quality one with no name. Seriously. I'm not optimistic about its life expectancy. Philosin 7.5" I think...
4. The connection to my iPhone is via WiFi...my iPhone and helmet is connected to my K1600B via Bluetooth.
5. The device has an external plug for audio (and data, rear camera and mic)...I don't need to hear turn by turn instructions, however, I might be able to hear it via my iPhone connection to the bike...I need to take a road test. I use a Sena Mesh communication system in my Shoei Neotec 2 to listen to music, phone calls, etc.
6. As you will see in the pics, the connection to the monitor and my K1600B is sketchy. (Been waiting to use that word). So, all the high quality plastic parts have been epoxied. And the base mount will be securely attached to the handlebars. They are not stock handlebars, they are Helibars. Not sure how I will secure the flat pad/suction cup holder to the handlebars.
7. Power comes from the USBc outlet in the phone compartment above the TFT.
8. And finally, I'm not 100% sure this is the route. Therefore, as backup, we can call in an airstrike...all kidding aside...I'm leaning towards a Peak Design iPhone holder. It's a very clever and secure device for holding your iPhone to your bike. The 7 inch screen is nice, but my iPhone screen is only slightly smaller but much brighter. I may pair my Sena communication system directly to my iPhone and be done with the Motorrad app.

Semper Fi
Ac adapter Gadget Audio equipment Cable Communication Device

Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Motor vehicle Communication Device Gadget Telephone Automotive tire

Product Camera lens Gun accessory Machine Fashion accessory

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
So… I’ve gotten 2 of the 5” CarPlay screens and I could get neither to work for some reason. I verified I was getting power to the screens, they just wouldn’t turn on. I tried connecting via a SAE cable directly to the battery, and from an adapter connected to the bike’s DIN socket - no go on either power connection method.

So I’m sticking with the 7” version that I posted in the above pictures, and it’s working well. I also got an inline power on/off switch that works nicely, as the screen doesn’t have its own power switch.

Basically I’m only using the CarPlay screen for navigation via the inRoute routing app with I love - so much better than BaseCamp!
Everything else - music and phone calls come through the bike. I can also use the bike’s Connected app navigation if I want by just turning off the CarPlay screen. If the CarPlay screen is on, the TFT can’t connect to the phone for WiFi map transmission, as WiFi is connecting from the phone to the CarPlay screen.

So all in all this is a very nice navigation upgrade for me, and the 7” screen is closer to me and has much more map detail than the TFT map, and is also easier to read. Here in Southern California it doesn’t rain much, but if it does I can cover the screen with a ziplock bag or just remove it. I also plan on shrink-wrapping a USB-C connection for further waterproofing.
For what it's worth, I want to give you props for implementing your CarPlay solution. Very impressive the way you creatively worked through finding a path that works. (y)

I'm also definitely going to give inRoute an honest try. Not as a complete replacement to Basecamp, but as a phone based backup for those real-time situations where a direct data connection makes more sense. A big part of my testing will be trying to "break" inRoute in offline situations. In my IT days, testing core application functionality was only half the equation. The other half was stress testing to simulate bad stuff that rarely happens, but leaves you in deep doo-doo if it does. From what I've researched so far, offline data scenarios are inRoute's potential Achilles heel, and if they exist, I'll find them. It should be a fun exercise. (y)

· Registered
2022 K1600B
182 Posts
Greetings - UPDATE,

It was time for a road test with my new Apple CarPlay monitor. Crash and burn. The system shut off four times during a 15 minute ride. The "high quality" monitor did show Apple CarPlay, but the monitor was not bright enough to see anything - now please keep in mind my monitor was NOT perpendicular to the bike, it slanted backwards toward the windscreen...during sunlight, I could not see a thing. Even in the shade, it was very dimly lite - and yes, the brightness was set at 100%.

I used Apple maps to create a destination, it came up and then once I started the route, it crashed (again, several times). Completely shut off. And, I did not get instructions through my Sena "infused" Shoei NeoTec 2 helmet.

So, I am awaiting a new iPhone holder from Peak Design...I plan to just wave the white flag, give up, surrender and use my iPhone as my navigation system and plan to sync it with Sena.

Semper Fi

· Registered
1,368 Posts
It was time for a road test with my new Apple CarPlay monitor. Crash and burn. The system shut off four times during a 15 minute ride. The "high quality" monitor did show Apple CarPlay, but the monitor was not bright enough to see anything - now please keep in mind my monitor was NOT perpendicular to the bike, it slanted backwards toward the windscreen...during sunlight, I could not see a thing. Even in the shade, it was very dimly light - and yes, the brightness was set at 100%.

I used Apple maps to create a destination, it came up and then once I started the route, it crashed (again, several times). Completely shut off. And, I did not get instructions through my Sena "infused" Shoei NeoTec 2 helmet.
Well that doesn’t bode well. I’m planning on riding this weekend, so I’ll see how that works out for me.

Sorry it didn’t work out for you Greg.

· Premium Member
2020 K1600 GT Sport.
259 Posts
Interesting. I had 2-3reboots when I was using the accessory plug. Once I made sure all was tight, it was good. I have moved to a direct wire to the battery. Works great so far in the cold (New Jersey weather) and I do have it position vertically, so I haven't had any sun wash out issues yet.

· Registered
2022 K1600B
182 Posts
Greetings,

I installed the Peak Design iPhone holder...very secure and vibration rubber mounting pad. The iPhone is "my" way to go. Once again, I will state - this is an excellent forum with great members.

Cheers and Semper Fi

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Greetings,

I installed the Peak Design iPhone holder...very secure and vibration rubber mounting pad. The iPhone is "my" way to go. Once again, I will state - this is an excellent forum with great members.

Cheers and Semper Fi
Yes, Peak Design is an impressive mount. It's very secure, sleek, just one button push to release, and vibration protection designed from the ground up:

Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car

It's my phone holder for phone backup to my Zumo XT -- best of breed industrial strength dedicated GPS. (y)

· Registered
2022 K1600B
182 Posts
Greetings,

Here's a pic of the new Peak Design iPhone holder (yes, you must get the case for your phone). Clean, simple and supposedly secure (we shall see). I like the adjustability of the Ram Mount, however, not as sleek as the PD

Semper Fi
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Font

· Mr.Fix It
9,835 Posts
@USMC G2 your response, "Clean, simple and supposedly secure (we shall see)." is why I went with the QL; e.g. QL has a tired and proven record securing a phone.

Duane

Reactions: USMC G2

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
@USMC G2 your response, "Clean, simple and supposedly secure (we shall see)." is why I went with the QL; e.g. QL has a tired and proven record securing a phone.

Duane
I understand your concern of "old and proven" vs. "new kid on the block". New (or in PD's case, relatively new) can be concerning. So you have to look at the totality of evidence (outside comparative reviews, company testing history, product warranty, etc), and the PD mount emerges as an outstanding product. Based on my personal history with Peak Design, their product quality is top notch. PD provides a lifetime guarantee on everything they make, including their PD mount. BTW, QL offers only a 1-year warranty. You'd think that a "proven record" would be backed up with something a little more substantial. It's PD's outline of the history of their mount that finally got me:

I like their ground up dampening technology development. It wasn't an afterthought because hundreds (maybe thousands?) of phone cameras were vibrated into the junk heap.

I've only had mine for a short time. But I've ridden with it enough to get a good feel. Their magnet technology for securing the phone is really slick. It's not supposedly secure, it's slam dunk secure. Your phone isn't coming off. Period. And because it's slim and minimalist, I can easily take it off and throw it in my tank bag when I'm not using my phone and I don't want to see it. This may not be a consideration for some, but I don't like stuff cluttering the cockpit area unless necessary.

As I mentioned before, I was ready to buy a QL. With dampening, it appears to work well and I'm sure that overall I would have been happy with it. QL does have some advantages over PD. QL has more options for mounting across vehicles, and offers wireless charging. For some, these are must have requirements. It makes the decision easy. But passing on PD because of quality concerns shouldn't be on the table. The PD mount is the real deal.

· Premium Member
2012 K1600GT
1,017 Posts
I've been using Peak Design products for cameras for years and everything they make is very high quality! If I didn't already the QuadLock setup I would consider Peak Designs as long as they make a wireless charger for bikes. As of now, they only have wireless charging for car/home use.

· American John
3,126 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
If only the PD mount offered wireless charging like QL.
I've been using Peak Design products for cameras for years and everything they make is very high quality! If I didn't already the QuadLock setup I would consider Peak Designs as long as they make a wireless charger for bikes. As of now, they only have wireless charging for car/home use.
Yes, very true. That's why I mentioned this for full disclosure. I read somewhere that PD is working on it, but it could be a ways down the road. Wireless charging is not a primary consideration for me, but I understand that it could be a deciding factor for others. All we can do is list the pros/cons of each product, and let the jury decide.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts