BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What kind of mileage did you get out of Angel GT A-spec?
After running the OEM Metzler, numerous PR4s, a couple RS3s, and multiple Pirellis, I continue to run Pirelli's. They are by far my favorite. Mileage has ranged from as little as 4500 miles, to over 11,000 miles. All depends how hard I ride. Granted, I'm always riding solo. And I have not tried the Angel GT 2. Based on what I've read about them, I won't try them either. I continue to like the original GT A-spec

·
Registered
780 Posts
For me to get to 11.5k miles, I'd need a 100% increase (or more)! I just can't imagine how anyone gets that distance on any rear tire on a K1600.
Hmmm? Imagine most mileage not being from trips planned to wear out tires.

Imagine not only loving to ride, but preferring to ride. Imagine riding so much that your brain waves change, like during meditation, because you are focused on the road. Then imagine your brain waves producing dopamine, just like a runner's high. Like runners, you're not going to get there riding a few times a month.

Imagine riding everyday, everywhere you go.

Riding the 40 miles to grandma's for Sunday dinner. Your kid says, "Dad! it's freezing and raining." "It's 35 and we have rain gear;"​

A weekend 1400 mile interstate trip for a POA from Grandpa - it could be mailed. "Dad! Can we take the truck? It's 103 degrees!" "It's only 101. If you're coming, ATGATT up;" It occurs to me, my 16 year-old daughter could have qualified for her Iron Butt on that one. And it got up to 107 degrees. :)
Taking your 100 lbs lab, just put him in the box, where he'll log over 50K miles.​

Grocery store? Put the groceries in the Brody Box.​
If you can imagine that, 12,000 miles is easy to do, as is 115,000 miles in seven years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Hmmm? Imagine most mileage not being from trips planned to wear out tires.

Imagine not only loving to ride, but preferring to ride. Imagine riding so much that your brain waves change, like during meditation, because you are focused on the road. Then imagine your brain waves producing dopamine, just like a runner's high. Like runners, you're not going to get there riding a few times a month.

Imagine riding everyday, everywhere you go.

Riding the 40 miles to grandma's for Sunday dinner. Your kid says, "Dad! it's freezing and raining." "It's 35 and we have rain gear;"​

A weekend 1400 mile interstate trip for a POA from Grandpa - it could be mailed. "Dad! Can we take the truck? It's 103 degrees!" "It's only 101. If you're coming, ATGATT up;" It occurs to me, my 16 year-old daughter could have qualified for her Iron Butt on that one. And it got up to 107 degrees. :)
Taking your 100 lbs lab, just put him in the box, where he'll log over 50K miles.​

Grocery store? Put the groceries in the Brody Box.​
If you can imagine that, 12,000 miles is easy to do, as is 115,000 miles in seven years.
I don't know...I've got over 50,000 miles in roughly 4 years, not quite your pace, but hardly riding a few times a month. I don't ride everywhere I go, but I've been on some very long trips with lots of long stretches, including 2300mi in 2.5 days. Still, my absolute best was about 7500 (RS4) with most being 4500 to 5500. The only way I can see getting much more is to ride it like it has the HP of a moped.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know...2300mi in 2.5 days. Still, my absolute best was about 7500 (RS4) with most being 4500 to 5500. The only way I can see getting much more is to ride it like it has the HP of a moped.
I am just a flatlander jealous of those who have curves on every ride so I lash out. I have to drive north 90 minutes on highways just to find two back to back curves. Any other direction just gets flatter and straighter. :sick: But I seldom have snow or ice!

I know Hillsboro is hilly, and Gunnert, who agrees with you, lives in mountains. All the curves and braking required in mountains will eat tires no matter how one drives.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I know Hillsboro is hilly, and Gunnert, who agrees with you, lives in mountains. All the curves and braking required in mountains will eat tires no matter how one drives.
But, my tires typically still wear out in the center. Wouldn't curves transfer a lot of that wear to the sides? Or perhaps it is the acceleration out of the curves that is causing the most wear??

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
For me to get to 11.5k miles, I'd need a 100% increase (or more)! I just can't imagine how anyone gets that distance on any rear tire on a K1600.
I was thinking the same thing. I got around 11k out of my first 2 sets of PR4's on the GTL. Then 7,800 on the 3rd rear and 7,100 on the 4th rear. I'd be thrilled if the 6's get me back to close to 10k.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Michelin has released the Road 6 and it shows available for the GTL. Has anyone heard if this tire resolves the problem with the tire rubbing on the shaft drive housing that the 5's have.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Let me guess: The all-new Road 6 is like no other tire Michelin's ever made. The new and improved tread design incorporates the latest in tire technology offering unparalleled grip wet or dry. This tire is designed to impress whether your motorcycle is upside down in a ditch or floating down a river. And our laboratory tests show the new R6 can go further and faster than ever before while increasing gas mileage 50%! **.

* Lab bench tested only. Your mileage may vary.
** If rolling continuously down a very steep hill. Your mileage may vary.

If I hear one more tire manufacturer hype-in-type about how far superior his new tire is compared to the one I just bought from him 3 months ago, I'm going to hurl! But here in America, hype is an art form so that's how we roll. I'm definitely waiting to buy next year's tire which already promises to be infinitely better than this year's greatest-ever tire...

And so it goes. Kickstands up!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I wish that Michelin would offer a sport touring tire that is not so biased to wet weather performance. I almost never ride in the rain. A slick with some wear indicators would be perfect.
I don't like to ride in the rain anymore either and avoid it whenever possible...though that's not always possible. That said, I could probably go for a little more rubber and a little less siping!

Reactions: Xkneedragger

·
Registered
176 Posts
10,000 to 11,000 miles on a set of tires for our K16s. I'm getting 5,000 out of a set of Dunlop roadsmart 3s (great grip).Planning on the 4s next time. I ride twisties as aggressively "as I can" but it's the whole tire that wears out, not just the edges. Can michelins have any grip and get that kind of mileage ? I'm being serious by the way. I'm not doubting the mileage, just doubting the tire having any grip. Cheers, Morgan

·
Registered
903 Posts
One thing that has a huge impact on the rate of tyre wear that is often overlooked is heat. That's heat in the tyre's carcass BTW, not ambient temperature.

Acceleration, braking and cornering all add load to the tyres which increases their temperature and thus increases the rate of wear. Likewise, adding static mass (fat rider, a passenger, luggage) adds load to the tyres and thus increases the rate of wear.

A 150lb rider running solo in (essentially) straight lines for mile after mile will achieve unthinkable mileage from their tyres compared to a 250lb rider with a 160lb passenger and panniers / topcase stuffed with luggage riding on roads that demand regular acceleration, braking and cornering.

The only worthwhile tyre life comparisons are those conducted by the same rider on the same bike with (essentially) the same usage pattern running different tyres. Everything else is just noise.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I wish that Michelin would offer a sport touring tire that is not so biased to wet weather performance. I almost never ride in the rain. A slick with some wear indicators would be perfect.
With few exceptions, dry grip is rarely a differentiator amongst quality motorcycle tyres in the same segment - e.g. SuperSport, Sport, Sport Touring, etc. these days. The big differentiators are - generally speaking - wet grip and life, and many riders will trade wet grip for life.

While I understand that prioritising wet grip may marginally compromise the ultimate level of feel and dry grip for those who "almost never ride in the rain" (and who doesn't prefer riding on dry roads to wet roads?), it's wet grip that sells tyres in the Sports Touring segment.

·
Registered
780 Posts
But, my tires typically still wear out in the center. Wouldn't curves transfer a lot of that wear to the sides? Or perhaps it is the acceleration out of the curves that is causing the most wear??
Yep.

The more we make the tire grip under load, the faster we wear out a tire -- which is braking, accelerating, and curves.

As for the center wear, even on curves, you're probably upright and braking going into the curve (center wear), accelerating through (side and center wear - see pic) and as you come out and return to vertical (center wear). Even if not being aggressive and relaxing, that is how I take curves.

Plus, we don't lean as far as we think, so the contact patch still includes the center even when in the curve.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is dated, but I agree with sbennett and so not caring what the
tire manufacturer hype-in-type about how far superior his new tire is compared to the one I just bought from him 3 months ago
😇 has said about their tire since this video was made, here Ryan tells us why whichever of our four go-to tires you have is the right choice.

And Ryan is my go to guy for the gospel on any motorcycle subject.

0:27 - Michelin Pilot Road 4: https://frt9.co/9nkof7
2:02 - Bridgestone Battlax BT-023: https://frt9.co/xc1r1r
3:03 - Pirelli Angel GT: https://frt9.co/kfvznp
4:38 - Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact: https://frt9.co/zbbxki
Kickstands up!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
This is dated, but I agree with sbennett and so not caring what the 😇 has said about their tire since this video was made, here Ryan tells us why whichever of our four go-to tires you have is the right choice.

Kickstands up!
Ryan fan here, too. Been watching him age on YouTube right there in front of my very eyes!! The guy's a hoot and I appreciate his self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek humor as much as his no-bull product reviews.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This is dated, but I agree with sbennett and so not caring what the 😇 has said about their tire since this video was made, here Ryan tells us why whichever of our four go-to tires you have is the right choice.

Kickstands up!
Yep, agree with Ryan on the Pirelli Angel. Great tire for riding hard. The PR4, never again. Same with RS3

·
Mr.Fix It
9,044 Posts
You guys are killing me... The Ryan YouTube video WRT Sport Touring tires talks about his requirement for sport touring tires capable of "knee dragging". Safe to say he doesn't ride a K bike... :)

Duane

Reactions: XPLSV
41 - 60 of 89 Posts